Atomic Sim Racing

Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:47 pm 
Alberto Ascari

Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Thing is Mark, for me at least, when any product has silver coloured plastic that's supposed to look like metal it looks like shit. But get whatever makes you happy :)

I bloody love Alcantara, feels amazing in the hand but it loses its lovely texture quickly - UNLESS you use Ploddy's magical unscented baby wipes trick to bring it back to like.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:26 pm 
Dan Gurney

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Eradicator wrote:
Aww crap.
I must be in the minority.
I think I like it!

Team Mercedes confirmed, nuff said

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:32 pm 
Jochen Rindt

Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Woody wrote:
Team Mercedes confirmed, nuff said
lol

Flouncy wrote:
Thing is Mark, for me at least, when any product has silver coloured plastic that's supposed to look like metal it looks like shit. But get whatever makes you happy :)

I bloody love Alcantara, feels amazing in the hand but it loses its lovely texture quickly - UNLESS you use Ploddy's magical unscented baby wipes trick to bring it back to like.

Oh yes, it is undeniably lovely to touch. 100% agree.
And I have used Ploddy's baby wipes trick in the past to good effect :)
But with bare hands I find myself gripping a little harder than is needed sometimes to compensate for its lack of static friction. ("grip")

Quote:
Silver is the theme for this year; the carbon fibre now has silver weave, and many of the accents are coloured silver, including the entire rear metal housing.

So it's not all plastic. Probs just the button/dial caps? They'd look a little chintzy I guess.

Fuck it. Gonna do it.
Damn it Fanatec! :x
:lol:

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:32 pm 
Alberto Ascari

Achievements:

Or if you just want more buttons buy a button box. Save a few hundred dollars and they look way cool too.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am 
Forum Admin

Car Number: #13
Achievements:

OMFG BABY WIPES

I saw you driving my old car around Brands Hatch before, you were doing really well - world champion Alan Jones to me
What was a long drawn out it'll-get-better-soon fuzzy dream has become one of history's most epic gun in the mouth clusterfucks that a decade won't even half fix. - Flouncy on McLaren

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 pm 
Jochen Rindt

Achievements:

Flouncy wrote:
Or if you just want more buttons buy a button box. Save a few hundred dollars and they look way cool too.

Says the guy that spent $150 for 1 button... :lol:
jokes 8-)

I figure $200 for 3 rotary switches, 2 toggles, 2 encoders, some rumble motors and leather, it's not bad.
Plus, F1 2019 for an extra $1 (offer with any new wheel sale atm) that makes the wheel kinda only +$120 over carbon.

I can justify it :P

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

I have to say, the more I look at it, the more I like the BMW GT2 wheel... Anyone have any feedback on it?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Chigerama wrote:
I have to say, the more I look at it, the more I like the BMW GT2 wheel... Anyone have any feedback on it?

I have it, and to be honest, I barely use it. While it feels nice, and obviously accurate, it's a big rim and I find it hard to drive accurately with it and find myself always going back to the formula rim.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:00 am 
Alberto Ascari

Achievements:

Yeah ditto. It's big and heavier than some others, that dilutes FF feel and strength compared to something like the formula or McLaren. But, it's fantastic for rally games, truck sims and just driving around in normal cars like I do a lot in Forza Horizon 4.

The DD will compensate for the weight tho.

It's superbly made and looks and feels super premium. Like the real thing basically.

Shifter paddles are set back more than the others so your fingers are stretched out a bit but you get used to that quickly.

The big diameter gives extremely precise control. It feels very natural to drive with. Very car-like.

McLaren is the perfect all rounder, even though it's made of cheaper materials the size and grips are perfect. Not almost perfect - flawlessly beautifully perfect. Having a round wheel is nice tho. I'm contemplating getting the universal hub:

https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering- ... ne-au.html

and a proper wheel like this:

https://raceline-racewear.com.au/sparco ... wheel.html

at 31cm that's a pretty nice size. But the combined $820 cost is slightly insane. For me it's offset by the $530 Fanatec voucher I'm sitting on. That expires in Dec so I'm gonna hold out til the last sec in case Fanatec release something irresistible, if not I'll probably get the combo above.

e: another thing, the BMW really needs to be set at an angle, car style, or it feels a bit weird. My rig has the wheel flat, formula style which is perfect for McLaren but whenever I use the BMW I'm always aware that it isn't quite right without some tilt.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr

Car Number: #177
Achievements:

The Beamer wheel is good, I prefer the Porsche one though - it's a little smaller and leather wrapped rather than alacantera (or whatever it's called).

G

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

So uhhh, There's this little thing now available for preorder....

Note the Podium shifters in the first image...

The Podium Hub features mounting holes for wheel rims using the 6x70mm or 3x50mm bolt pattern. It is possible to run third-party steering wheels on PC with USB cables as used on OSW Direct Drive for example.

* Accepts all third-party rims using the 6x70mm or 3x50mm bolt pattern (e.g. Sparco, MOMO, OMP)
* Allows the use of third-party steering wheels with USB cables on all Fanatec bases (USB wheels must be connected separately to the PC)

https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering- ... -1263.html

https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering- ... -r300.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:19 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Few questions for the guys who have owned or have knowledge/experience with a bunch of Fanatec gear.

Is the CSL Elite (PS4) really that much better than the CSL Elite V 1 (original)? What about the ESL Elite V 1.1 (Xbox)
Price ends up about $170 AUD difference thanks to the Bundle discount ($80) on the PS4 version which since the wheel itself as far as I can tell is quite a bit better? But we are talking 630 v 800 with the Elite Pedals

Can anyone tell me any concrete information on the Elite Pedals without the Load Cell, I can find dozens of reviews with the LC but nothing really of substance with the standard Pedals that include the foam, I get that they are not as good as the LC but overall how do they hold up against the likes of the G29 or T300RS? Will they be something I am disappointed with and holding my pace/consistency back quite quickly?

Are these standard Pedals a waste of money/time or would it be perfectly fine to use for a few months or until the summer when I am ready to buy better ones (CSl Elite LC / Clubsport Pedal V3 etc)

I have a bunch of different options to consider buying and any input on which deal would be the best or make the most sense would be appreciated.

Cheapest Combo is CSL Elite(V1)/Elite Pedals - 630 AUD
Next step is the CSL Elite(PS4)/Elite Pedals - 800 AUD - get the newer base and nicer wheel
CSW V2.5/Elite Pedals - 1100 AUD - absolute best base/wheel that I can continue to improve on for years
Logitech G920 + Spring Mod - 300 AUD + 30 AUD - something cheap to use before spending big

What I am mostly looking for is something that I will be happy to keep for the next 3 years while I finish my Uni degree, I don't want to buy the cheapest combo and be disappointed in 6 months that I don't have better. Also, something I can put on a generic wheel stand (like the Omega Classic/Next Level Racing versions) Weirdly I do not like the idea of the wheel flexing as much as the ESL Elites apparently do that I hear the CSW V2.5 does not?

As far as pedals go, I am prepared to wait on cash since I prefer to invest in some other gear right now (2080ti/new screens).

Experience - 3 months of PC2 with some other games like Dirt 3/AC on the side, I am within 2-3 seconds of most lap records for my car Porsche 911 GT3(PC2), which would have me near pole or top 20% in most lobbies I played in Europe(just moved back to OZ).
Used a Logitech Driving Force GT I owned forever, thought it was great and the only thing that was stopping me from getting faster and more consistent were the pedals more so than the wheel/FFB, however, I am sure it was both.
I plan to start iRacing once I am practiced again as I hear the community is quite active in Australia.

I have friends from overseas I do intend to play with for fun regularly despite the ping so I will be buying another wheel for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 am 
Alex Yoong

Achievements:

I ran a g920 (with spring mod) for 6 months before going to the CSL Elite F1 PS4 kit.

Take this as my personal opinion, but:
- I would skip the G920 and go for the CSL options. The uplift from G920 to Fanatec CSL is significant and absolutely worth it.
- If you've used a Loadcell before the stock pedals will just frustrate you.
- However if all you've used before is standard springs you'll be OK for a bit, but going to LC would have to be the next logical upgrade.

When I ordered mine the main pack (wheel, base, std pedals) arrived 2 weeks before the LC kit, so had a bit of time with just the std pedals. At the time was using G920 pedals with spring mod, and I remember at the time thinking the std Fanatec pedals were fine & about the same.

When the LC arrived and I got used to it though... Massive difference. Going back to normal springs now would be a struggle.

The one thing I will say on the CSL LC though is that you need to have a consistent foot position. The placement of the LC means that depending on whether your pressing on extreme top, middle, or extreme bottom of footplate same pressure applied will have different readings. Not an issue for me as I race with shoes so load is distributed more evenly. But a number of people have mentioned this before and I have found this myself on occasion when racing in socks and foot was out of normal position.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Would you believe, i have shipping information for my kit now?! Only 1 working day late. Gotta be a Fanatec record, surely?

It's happening!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 am 
Jochen Rindt

Achievements:

Sweet!
Yeah getting kit on time (or 1 day late) is like unheard of.

Still waiting on my new Formula 2019 rim I pre-ordered. They knocked it back a couple weeks last I heard. I think they're waiting for F1 2019 to become available on the 25th before shipping (as I got that thrown in for $1). So the whole order appears to be held up now because of it *facepalm*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:09 am 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Nah, they've stated previously that they're not holding up the shipment due to the software release. I'd shoot them an email.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am 
Alberto Ascari

Achievements:

That special magic happy feeling Chigerama. Couple a notes - their recommended settings for games on their community page are rubbish. You'll of course figure out what you like, for me I run springs and damper at either zero or about 10%. Depends on the game. At zero for some games that makes the game eliminate completely some effects, so having it on but just a teeny bit lets those effects back it, but without the unpleasant artificial feel of too much spring, or diluted effects overall which damper does.

Start the base up with no wheel attached first time and run the driver install and firmware update. Then power off, restart windows and start it up again this time with the McLaren wheel attached and update the firmware for the McLaren wheel.

Don't forget to plug in the torque key :)

Get Forza Horizon 4, it's fucken fantastic for just driving around and has equal the best FF in any game ever. Lemme know if you DO get it and I'll share my settings.

There's new beta 336 driver/firmware out now, check the community discussion on Fanatec site under beta drivers for a link (sorry can't link now, you need to be logged in and I'm at work and not logged in).

BUT, they will definitely update with a new beta soon, many people having issues with 336. So check again when you get the DD. I'm using 334, it feels great but occasionally it makes the pedals cut out for a few secs, I can live with that while the season is having a break. 335 makes the brake feel really harsh, both issues addressed in 336.

Enjoy!

Oh also - the rubber seal on the shaft is fine as is, but apparently if you smear just a tiny bit of silicon grease on it it will last years longer. I got some from Amazon per a recommendation from someone smart-sounding on the forums - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007X ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

ETA looking like around the 20th, so i'll hit you up sometime after that.

That'll be a busy weekend for me sadly... might have to take some time off the following week!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 pm 
Jochen Rindt

Achievements:

Chigerama wrote:
Nah, they've stated previously that they're not holding up the shipment due to the software release. I'd shoot them an email.

Went and checked what they wrote me:

Quote:
Hereby we inform you that the shipping date for your order has been changed.
The estimated shipping date for G-F1 2019 PC / F1™ 2019 for PC is 25/06/2019 now.

Which is a few days before F1 2019 goes live. *shrug*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:23 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Yeah, they moved the launch date of the F1 game legends edition back 3 days from the original date of the 28th too.

But the wheel should ship *before* the game does. Mine has shipped as of yesterday. (delayed because of the DD1 needing to be in stock, otherwise it all would have shipped weeks ago).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next