Season Guide: https://tinyurl.com/y6gp3ax9
Guidelines, Rules and Regulations: https://tinyurl.com/y2okzpxc
Car and Tracks: https://tinyurl.com/y67mqg7h

Round Information
Date: Sunday 8 Dec 2019
Time: 7:45pm (AEDT) [Practice Open at 7:25]
Track: Daytona Tri-Oval
Car: Indycar (Road)
Weather report: Clear & Sunny (Summer, all sessions at 14:00)
Server Name: ASR Season 7
Server Password: asrpc2
Race administrator: Veedub

Practice Server is now up and running and available all week. (Lobby = "ASR Season 7")

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Note - no demo lap this week. Because oval. Top gear, 100% throttle, turn left. Done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:52 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

You forgot the beer.

Wait... So it's an oval... But it's a triangle... and it has 4 corners?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:06 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

After going down a wikipedia rabbit hole, I first thought, looking at the picture above and your triangle comment that maybe it was a Reuleaux triangle. Mmm, nope.
I then looked into similar thing for rectangles, and came across the "stadium" shape. Close, but Daytona has that bend in the middle of a straight and there's "4 corners". a simple rounded rectangle gets the corner numbers but the bend in the staight still isn't included.

Turns out the shape is the name of the track, tri-oval:
Quote:
A tri-oval is a shape which derives its name from the two other shapes it most resembles, a triangle and an oval. Rather than meeting at sharp, definable angles as the sides of a triangle do, in a tri-oval these angles are instead rounded into smooth curves.[1]

While an oval has four turns, a tri-oval has six. More formally, according to the four-vertex theorem, every smooth simple closed curve has at least four vertices, points where its curvature reaches a local minimum or maximum. In a tri-oval, there are six such points, alternating between three minima and three maxima.

According to that, there's actually 6 turns!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-oval
:ugeek:

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:41 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Bit of hair-splitting going on in that article I reckon. They're basically saying that each corner is 2 turns: you have turning into the corner and turning out of the corner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Euclid approves.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:56 pm 
Jean Behra
Driver ID: #18
Car Number: #999
Achievements:

More like The Bermuda Triangle. ;) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:34 pm 
Sebastian Vettel

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Qualy was bad, Race 1 was terrible, Race 2 was so disastrous I even put music on at the end. It was that laughable really

I hate ovals as much as Veedub hates Catalunya. Maybe 4-6 times more.

On a side note I get blistering starts with a rolling start, but being second row I have to deal with slightly slower guys in front. Which turns me into a cocky 2018 Spain Grosjean and I screw it all up. That's the only upside, the starts really.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:39 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Great fun, top racing! Ovals are the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 pm 
Jean Behra
Driver ID: #18
Car Number: #999
Achievements:

Race 1 was not a good result after loosing touch with the leader but keep it going.

Race 2 was going great until I got a little low on the track and roller the car with a few minutes to go. That will teach me not to drink and drive.

Had fun all the same.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 pm 
Sebastian Vettel
Driver ID: #15
Car Number: #9
Achievements:

Loved it when I had people to use for speed. When you are alone you lose to much top speed.

First race was great for the first 10 min or so, with me and Erad trading lines with Vee behind us. Then I scrubbed the wall and lost all my speed and put me all alone with no hope to catch up. Towards the end I had someone to use but never really got into a groove.

Second race same thing, scrubbed the wall and lost speed, with two cars grouped for 1 and 2, then a gap to another 2 cars grouped for 3 and 4th. There was no hope in catching a pair of cars using each others speed boost. So I slowed down to wait for Erad but slowed down too far and Erad and Woody went past and were just out of range to get any speed boost. Then Woody had wall scrub and they separated allowing me to use woody, and then Erad to draft. The last 10 minutes was me and Erad in perfect harmony using each other better than a hooker uses a motel. Turn 1 Erad on the inside, as we go down the back straight I get behind him and move the the inside as I pass, taking the last turn on the inside and as we come out to the main straight, he gets behind and slides by to take turn 1 again on the inside. Eventually caught Caelum and as we passed him, I dont know what really happened, but he went flying off, never to be seen again.

Good night fellas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:25 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Hi all,

Results for Round 8 below. Veedub managed to snag pole, but lost out to Flouncy by milliseconds for the Race 1 win. Race 2 served up some nice chilled revenge with Veedub just pipping Flouncy to the line. Well done Veedub and Flouncy.

Next week we're off to the Red Bull Ring for the season finale, and I'm happy to say finally a track that is kind on tyres (and unkind to Flouncy, apparently)

Check out tonight's results here: https://simresults.net/191208-t5e

Note - Race 1 finish had some funkiness going on as I didn't finish when everyone else did and continued on to do 61 laps (and in so doing take the win - yay :D ). I had to reconstruct the json results to remove this extra lap and fix the race results. I think I managed to get this sorted - but if anything looks wrong on the R1 results let me know.

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:31 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Thanks all - was a good night of racing. The last 7 minutes of both races was so tense I actually forgot to drink my beer!

Good racing Flouncy. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Tough luck Jase - If you hadn't lost it on 3rd last lap I reckon you may have taken the win.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:47 pm 
Sebastian Vettel

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Okay so somehow I reported 23 instances of contact with Veedub in the space of like, 3 seconds. How does that even work like that? Weird

Salty that I come off second best in that, and don’t get fastest lap as a consolation prize for race 2. Eh, let’s see if I can trounce Flouncy next week :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:51 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Qualy I had some minor wheel issues resurface. Restarted wheel and game to temp fix it.

Race 1 I had a cracker of a start. Ducked and weaved my way through the pack to the front, where I was side by side Ghost for all of it. Then as my tank was dwindling down and I was thinking that pit stop will be needed in the next few laps, my camera angle changed to the side pod view... so I couldn't see my inside. Managed to drive around like that for a few more laps trying to find/push camera change buttons along the way to no effect.
Decided to come in to pit but immediately found I had no gear shifting either and so had to park it and DNF. A shame, was in 1st!

After wiping the game profile and remapping everthing race 2 went off without a hitch.
Off the start I got whacked from side left which sent me into the wobbles. Kept it out of the wall but put me by myself behind the main lead pack.
Was considering slowing down to let Woody catch up then perhaps use him to the slip streams going to catch up to the leaders.
Kinda happened just as Ghost fell behind trying to do the same.
Woody wasn't much into the cooperating but Ghost soon caught up and from there it was a syncronised drafting match made in heaven. We synced up and managed to chase down Caleum in the final stages. I passed him and he seemed to slot in behind me to draft I assume but didn't realised Ghost was there and seemed to make contact and veered off. Bad luck man.

I got the most consistent award both races though. So that's something!

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Race 1 the first plan was to keep my powder dry, hang back and use the slipstream to save fuel and see if I could pull off a surprise one stopper. Was damn close too. Was averaging 1.9 litres per lap cruising in everyone's slipstream. Starting with 14 litres, add 70 in one stop gives 111L. 1.9L per lap for 60 laps gives 114 litres. Would have been close, but no cigar.

So stopped twice and went to plan B - hang back until the last lap and slingshot Flouncy on the last turn. But then I got bored and wanted to race, so for the last 10 minutes went wheel to wheel with Flouncy. I thought I'd figured out a line that would just get me ahead across the finish, practiced it a few times and it worked. Unfortunately, it didn't work when it counted.

If you've ever wondered what 7 milliseconds look like :(

Race 2 I followed mostly the same strategy - just keeping my nose clean until the last few laps. with 5 to go I caught Flouncy. Jase was way ahead so this was going to be the battle for second. A few laps of good solid racing ensued. With 2 to go Jase made a mistake, spun out and suddenly the stakes were lifted. This was now a fight for the win! Much ballsy racing ensued - including an incredible wheel rubbing attempted move at 270mph from Flouncy, but I managed to hold firm to take Race 2.

If you've ever wondered what revenge looks like :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:52 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

Eradicator wrote:
We synced up and managed to chase down Caleum in the final stages. I passed him and he seemed to slot in behind me to draft I assume but didn't realised Ghost was there and seemed to make contact and veered off. Bad luck man.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened - I didn't realise that Ghost was SO close behind. I'm glad that it was only me that was seriously affected by my mistake there. I hoped to slip in behind you and then slide by on the finish line, if i could keep Ghost behind me too.