Season Guide: https://tinyurl.com/y6gp3ax9
Guidelines, Rules and Regulations: https://tinyurl.com/y2okzpxc
Car and Tracks: https://tinyurl.com/y67mqg7h

Round Information
Date: Sunday 24 Nov 2019
Time: 7:45pm (AEDT) [Practice Open at 7:25]
Track: Watkings Glen GP
Car: Indycar (Road)
Weather report: Clear & Sunny (Summer, all sessions at 14:00)
Server Name: ASR Season 7
Server Password: asrpc2
Race administrator: Veedub

Practice Server is now up and running and available all week. (Lobby = "ASR Season 7")

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:54 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Hi Gents,

Had a bit of time to kill today so thought I'd record a demo lap for anyone interested in lines, gears, etc.

Ran a 1:24.3. Not a entirely clean lap so thinking a good qualy effort will be high to mid 1.23's - with race pace sitting around mid to high 1.24's.

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Very nice Veedub.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:28 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

And here I was happy to break into the 25's!

Potential time into the 24s, but yet to be realised.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Hi all,

Results for Round 6 below. Congrats to Flouncy for the Race 2 win, and Veedub for Race 1 victory and poll. (Although a minor indiscretion in the pits meant he actually started from position 2).

Next week we're off to an oldie but a goody - Catalunya. Get red to cook those LHS tires folks!

Check out tonight's results here: https://simresults.net/191124-9FX

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:30 pm 
Sebastian Vettel

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Had a solid understanding of the track, just had to get it suited to the Indycar. Wasn't able to do much practice during the week so kind of had to cram it in before Qualy. Started off with mid 1:26's, getting it down to the mid 1:25's before Flouncy did what he always does and pulls a monster lap out to show us how it's done. Wasn't too far off Chig though, so was a little bit upbeat.

Wasn't able to string together a lap as quick as that in Qualy though, settling for a 1:26.159 in p5. Little disappointed, but knew I could work my way back up to a decent position in the race.

Decent start, Cap got the jump on me as I took it easy into T1. Had Chig in front of me and was able to get past when he made a mistake into the chicane. Track extension at the second last corner meant I had to slow to avoid a penalty, allowing Chig back through. Stuck with him for a bit, but another track extension meant I had to back off and that gave him breathing room. Went back to building my race pace, doing high 1:26's to low 1:25's. Pitted on lap 8, coming back out ahead of Chig and set about chasing Cap. Full tank of fuel meant I was a bit slower, and another track extension slowed me down a bit, but my spirits were lifted a bit seeing Chig get a 2 second penalty, so settled in for the long run and bridge the gap to Cap.

Pitted on lap 23, one of the last to do so and a few seconds behind cap. Some silly track extensions to slow down to had allowed him that gap. So with 5 minutes it was hammer time, especially with 6 P2P's up my sleeve. Slammed in a few 1:25's but wasn't able to get near and had to settle for p5, 3 seconds behind.

Race 2 I was able to get off to a flyer, using the slipstream to get past Chig on the run up to the chicane and take him round the outside. From there I settled into a rythm, doing consistent low 1:25's - high 1:26's as Chig kept the faster Flouncy behind for a bit, but Flouncy got bye around lap 6. Kept my head down and focused on racing well, punching out good laps. Pitted on lap 11 and made a small rookie-esque mistake of not slowing down enough into pit entry in case Flouncy rammed into me. Probably should have done my usual pit entry, but was maybe being too kind. Slightly let him through with a mistake into the back straight and that was the last I saw of him as I hoped Veedub wouldn't bridge the 10 seconds to me. Made a mistake coming out of the chicane, clipping the grass/kerb and was sent spinning. Held it together to pull of a wicked 360 spin, but had my heart sink cause I knew that blew my best chance of a podium.

Fortunately sim racing is a weird world and Jase had an unlucky spin that cost him more time than mine and gave me one last glimmer of hope of that final step of the podium. Pushed hard to the end and pretty much prayed Jase was more than 10 seconds back. Which he was, by the smallest of margins at 0.002 seconds.

Kind of a lucky podium, not having the penalty would have been nice to snag a good result pretty much out of nowhere. Best race I've done so far, consistency and track cuts were better, so it's all getting there and really I would have been happy with p4 looking at the stats. P2 would have sweetened the deal, especially with my long time arch-rival Eradicator not showing up 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 am 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Always enjoy your write ups woody, keep it up!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:01 am 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

lol dunno why you've got the fear into you that I'm a rammer and a dangerous arsehole behind you woods :)

You were quite safe, I promise.

Good racing. Now that Veedub has his starts sorted that's one less advantage I had. Great drive overall too, man, really quick and steady. Couldn't get into a threatening position at any point at all. Well deserved win for race 1.

And... bad luck in race 2, but still, mighty comeback Veedub. Woods lost about 5 seconds in the last half a lap, if he'd held it it would have meant second place. Maybe next time :)

Great driving from our rookies woods and Caelum, right up there with the times, and really good in dogfighting, very clean and controlled.

Lovely stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Sorry I missed this one lads. Family stuff I had to attend to.
Should be back for the next one.

Gratz Veedub and Flouncy on the wins!

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Thanks Gents. Was a very enjoyable night of racing.

Felt good to finally get a decent start. Even better to take a position of Mr. Lightning-Start (Flouncy) himself. With Watkins being such a high downforce circuit dirty air was always going to be a challenge so getting in front was key. And after losing pole due to my pit indiscretion was good to make up the spot again on the start.

It might not have looked it - but Race 1 was incredibly intense. Once I got past Flouncy I tried to build a gap - but he wasn't having it. I'd build the gap to 2 seconds and the next minute Jim's in my ear telling me how Flouncy's just done the fastest lap of the race and we're back down to 1s. I'd push like crazy and build it up to 2s again with a fastest lap of my own, only for Flouncy to claw it back again. It was seriously intense. I checked afterwards and my heart-rate never dropped below 120bpm the whole race. It was great fun trading fastest laps though :D

Well done Flouncy - great drive and nothing in it between us. As evidenced by there being less than a tenth between our fastest laps in qualy and both races!

Race 2 I dropped it in chute, which is odd as I always felt rock solid coming through there. It was the one turn on the track I never felt close to losing it, until I did. Didn't feel like I did anything different either - just suddenly felt the back getting loose and couldn't catch it in time. From there pitted early to try and get some fast laps in clean air, but ended up behind Cap and his 1.5x regulation width Indycar.

The dirty air was making things very tricky, but eventually I figured out a plan to get past. It involved getting right up his backside through inner loop, going wide and then cutting back in outer loop, giving me the run for a pass into chute. All was going to plan and I was glued to his rear-wing through inner loop when his car suddently took a 90 degree turn and went off track. For a minute I thought I'd been too agressive and tapped him out, but thankfully not - he just had a moment with his rear getting loose and then span out when it picked up traction.

From there I set about chasing down Jase - and had a thoroughly enjoyable time slowly clawing the gap down. (I much prefer chasing than leading). Managed to get in sight of Jase and was looking forward to a battle, but then he had an unfortunate spin and I got past. Then had some more fun chasing down Woody - but ran out laps before I could get close enough for us to play.

Well done on the R2 win Flouncy. Having now (hopefully) learned to match your starts the focus now shifts to copying your racing through the pack...

Kudos to Jase, Woody, Cap and Caelum as well. You've all picked up pace over the past few rounds. At the end of last /start of this season the typical spread between fastest lap and slowest in qualy/race sessions was around 3 seconds. That's been dropping and I noticed that this week everyone was within 1.8 seconds on all sessions. And considering that the lead pace at Watkins was pretty good that's really impressive.

Another way to look at it: if you take everyone's fastest lap from the weekend, all of them would be within the top 15 laps (with std setup) worldwide!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:24 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Yeah i have to say that this season the car has started to make a bit more sense to me. Where previously it would take me all week to work out which corners i can push through on and which i am better off taking slowly, it's becoming more obvious in the first session.

This last race, despite my last place results (consistency, mistakes still my biggest issue), i was really happy with my overall performance - i've never raced this track before. Not sure if the track just worked well with me or not, but it was thoroughly enjoyable to race on - great flow.

That being said, there's still massive improvements to be made on my side. Key issues being keeping it on the black stuff, braking lines/markers, and tyre life. If i was able to keep my tyre temps down better in the last race i doubt i would have had anywhere near as many offs as i did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
Thanks Gents. Was a very enjoyable night of racing.
Kudos to Jase, Woody, Cap and Caelum as well. You've all picked up pace over the past few rounds.

I think a fair lack of pace for me during qualy (last) was due to the fact that I never do any in-car adjustments (ARB, BB, etc) and Watkins really punishes if you just rock the setup straight out of the packet. The places I made up I made solely on a good start and keeping out of trouble, not on-track speed. As Woody referrered to in his post, he was taking chunks out of me lap after lap so it was just a case of holding on.

Last season we naturally fell into very distinct groups, with the anti-tuners (about 6 or 7 of the 15) sitting within 0.3 of each other! Was very tight.

Thinking perhaps there could be a mechanism for people sharing some of their setup choices to bridge the gap?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

I've found that one been running brake bias of between 52-53 for most tracks this year, which had helped braking significantly for me.

Not really started playing with RB setups yet though...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:18 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

More than happy to share my setup changes. Will also put up demo laps time permitting to share lines and gearing. (Catalunya is up)

My typical approach is to start with loose setup. Generally I tend to leave BB as is unless I'm getting a lot of lock ups. On ARB I start with 3 clicks harder on rear, 3 clicks softer on front. Most tracks that will work well and no more changes.

However, if I find I'm running wide a lot (understeer) I'll increase rear and decrease front one click. Usually this will either make it easier to get the car turned, allowing more entry speed and earlier acceleration out of the turn. Or I will start spinning out. If I start spinning out I go back to previous settings. If I'm still running wide I do one more click until I do start spinning out.

Most tracks this ends up being 3 clicks. Last week at Watkins was 2. I think Mugello before was 4. Catalunya demo run was on 3 and that felt pretty good, but can confirm if I find a better setting once I've done some practice.

As to how much of a difference it makes... That like most things setup might be subjective. For me it's worth about .5s. Tested this a couple times by running stock setup until I hit a wall in times, I'll make the change and immediately go .5s faster. That being said it might just be placebo effect on my part.

Would be interested to hear if above works for anyone else.

And one more thing. Always load your chosen default setup at the start of every session. Otherwise you will get the crappy buggy setup, which is 10 times worse than either loose or stable

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:45 pm 
Sebastian Vettel

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Yeah ARB and BB has helped me, especially at COTA when I was having issues in sector 1. Generally I bump the front ARB down by 4, and set BB to 54.0, then see how I go. I did bump the rear up by 2 at Watkins which helped, and even bought BB down to 52 to get through turn 1. Makes a world of difference really, and it's why my pace is now improving. And only 8 points behind Cap, but drop rounds may play a factor in where I finish