Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Welcome to the Atomic Sim Racing Championship Season 7 Round 5

Season Information
Season Guide: https://tinyurl.com/y6gp3ax9
Guidelines, Rules and Regulations: https://tinyurl.com/y2okzpxc
Car and Tracks: https://tinyurl.com/y67mqg7h

NOTE!! Round 5 will run at Mugello which is part of an additional content pack (Ferrari Essentials Pack). Please ensure you have this pack purchased and downloaded before race night.

Round Information
Date: Sunday 17 Nov 2019
Time: 7:45pm (AEDT) [Practice Open at 7:25]
Track: Mugello GP
Car: Indycar (Road)
Weather report: Clear & Sunny (Summer, all sessions at 14:00)
Server Name: ASR Season 7
Server Password: asrpc2
Race administrator: Veedub

Practice Server is now up and running and available all week. (Lobby = "ASR Season 7")

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

I've got a good feel of this track already, just need to nail consitency down more than anything. Running mid to low 1:31s, hopefully can push into the 1:30's. Went into time trial and did a 1:28.179, but that's with a custom setup. Look forward to racing on this track :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 am 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

It's the sweetest track in all of motor racing. SOOO nice to drive. So much fun, so incredibly satisfying. My all time fav.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Hmmm. This will be an entirely new track for me. Never raced it other than with bikes on the MotoGP franchise maybe 12 years ago...

Looks like it could be a lot of fun, can't wait to get into some practice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:41 am 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Anyone else struggling with cooking their tyres on this one? Lefts are constantly an angry red and rights vary from yellow to dark orange. After lap 2 I don't see green on tyre temps ever again... It's it my driving style or just this track?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:11 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

Not you mate. Poor left front, but it's very driveable and there's the straight to cool them down for the next lap of abuse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:20 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Thanks. Good too know it's not just me. Feel like I'm losing about half a second when the tires are hot. Almost thinking the hards night be a better option if they don't overheat as bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:34 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

You can't choose starting tires... Can you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:14 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Correct, but was thinking to pit & switch, but not sure if they're really any better. Will have to test & see

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

Just tried a test with a setup to change to primary but it left alts on. Nvm anyway good enough on the softs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:45 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

Yeah, I found the same thing... And was wondering about the hards too.

What's our target times? Been doing 1:29's on push laps so far - but I've only had two 30 min sessions on the track so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:52 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

That should do you well chig.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:12 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Yeah. Prime's were a lot slower (1.5s) so the alts are still the best tyre. Will just have to live with hot tyres...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Hi all,

Results for Round 5 below. Veedub managed to snag pole and converted into a Race 1 victory, with the Race 2 win going to Flouncy with an impressive drive from (almost) the back of the grid. Well done Veedub and Flouncy.

Next week we're off to Watkins Glen, another fast and flowing track which no doubt is going to be a tyre destoyer again.

Check out tonight's results here: https://simresults.net/191117-Sj0

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Had a good night of racing, even if Qualifying didn't go to plan. 1 place grid penalty for speeding out of the garage, so decided to start last as I didn't have the pace.

Absolutely nailed the start by a massive fluke, engaging gear before the lights and then shooting off the line right as the lights go green. Had to slow down a bit so I wouldn't take Jase out. Sent it down the inside at T1 and was up to p3, only to lose it with a mistake at the end of sector 1 and be down in p5, then back to p7 when I made the same mistake a lap later. Relaxed and decided to settle in with my usual plan of being consistent and let the lap times drop. Spent the next few laps battling with my crew chief trying to get him to shut up, but gave up and just let him say what he would say.

Anyways was catching up to Jase, but wasn't able to get within striking distance at the first round of pit stops. Was slowly closing the gap until Chig had an off and I had a few hairy moments behind him, allowing Jase to extend his lead. Was catching up to him and then he had an off that allowed me past. Pitted again for a splash and dash, looking to close up to Jase who had a 10 second penalty, eventually getting past after he made a few mistakes and I believe had to slow down to avoid getting a penalty. Came home in p5, happy that my pace was improving from the start.

Race 2 I was able to hang on to p2 for a while, defending againt Erad who was looking to get past me. Had a 2 second penalty for track extension however, but didn't let that stop me and kept my head down. Had Flouncy behind me after Erad pitted, and was that way until him, Jase and I pitted at the same time. The 3 of us got flipped around after Flouncy had a faster pitstop over me over Jase. Spun out a few laps later, allowing Erad and Cap through and had Veedub behind me until he spun trying to overtake me. Veedub came back, then went off, then came back into the final turn and we went side by side down the main straight, through turn 1 before I yielded into turn 2 knowing we couldn't do it through there. Dirty air gave him breathing room, but because his 10 second penalty outdid my 2 seconds I was able to stay within 8 seconds to come home in p4.

Number of off tracks is slowly coming down, not as perfect as Cap who had 0 cuts for both races, kudos to him. Wasn't the best of races in terms of points scored for the championship but I'm happy with the progress I made with my lap times and pace

Race footage is fucked, OBS somehow rescaled PCARS2 and pretty much the top left corner is all you get scaled up. Will have to record the replay and line the audio up, but I might not bother because it's too much effort and I don't have as much time. Can someone also upload race 1 replay as I wasn't able to save it in time before we had our 5 minute break?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Woody wrote:
Number of off tracks is slowly coming down, not as perfect as Cap who had 0 cuts for both races, kudos to him.

Thanks bud, yeah I had a pretty clean pair of races devoid of the usual inevitable mistake that comes with 40min of racing. And some nice incident-free starts. Unfortunately in R2 I pitted nice and early to try and make hay while everyone else fights, but ended up having a brain-fart and finger trouble and buggered up the pit entry. Very lucky not to cop a penalty, but in avoiding getting one I gave away a bunch of time that never came back.

But as they say, that's motorsport!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 am 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

Good racing, chaps. Veedub great job for race 1. For someone new to this track and how tricky it is you had amazing speed, just couldn't stay close enough to threaten at any point and you ran away with it in the second half. Superb.

Race 2 I got lucky with Veedub falling off the track early on. A rare unforced error. From there just kept it steady, gaining slowly on Woody and Erad and Jase. Got by Jase and Woods with a quick pitstop and clear sailing from there.

Hadn't practised against other cars or AI so it really took me by surprise how much downforce you lose when following closely. Went into the sand and grass a few times before re-calibrating my brain to deal with it. A pretty messy win but it'll do.