Atomic Sim Racing

Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:42 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

What do you guys think about this for material for a DYI wooden rig?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-45mm-m ... m_p8030091
https://www.bunnings.com.au/structaflor ... g_p0460028

Do you see anything wrong with just using local material from Bunnings, it appears to be pretty cheap.
According to everyone 2 by 4 is the standard for making a wooden rig which is 89x38mm after the refinement process.

I planned to make my own design/measurements but it would look a little something like this, except a full boarded floor and stronger support for where the wheel goes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

You most certainly can mate. I did.

I never brought this plans, but i used this to work my DIY build off of:

https://www.ricmotech.com/RS500_DIY_Coc ... 00-diy.htm

You can google a fair bit or images from there here

I have it pretty well documented build with pictures here, unfortunately, Tiny Pic is long gone now, and so are my pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=386

If you care to read about it without images.

90x45mm pine what i used for the base, the "sidewall" for the wheel and pedals to be mounted on was just 18mm MDF, not even the Yellow Tongue stuff you linked. Only more pine to mound the pedals onto and a little bit for the wheel MDF piece to be mounted on to as well. i get about 10mm MAX moment left and right. can't even tell during use.

FYI i am only on the G27 wheel and pedals. pedals are invert mounted. and two piece of MDF together is more than strong enough for the wheel (only two as i need more than 18mm for the G27 wheel clamps be tight. Maybe with a Fanatec wheel and certainly a DD wheel, would you need it to be much stronger.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:12 am 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Cheers, hopefully I can find the seat within the next day and complet it over the weekend, will post some pics.

If anyone can give me any further advice on how to base my seating positions and such that would be welcomed since I am currently desk clamping and only using the bottom half of the next level racing stand (for pedals only)

All I currently know is the height my base needs to be based on the limitations of a monitor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:43 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

Umm... That's a tough one. As it's individual needs/wants.

But obviously comfortable and ability to see over the wheel.

I took measurements from the car I drive. But did lower the seat a year or so later. Beauty of a self build using wood. You can modify it as you go and teak it more over time. (warning that will never end)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:25 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

I am going to tailor the rig to this for my height being slightly closer than half way on the rails so my brother a few inches taller than me has plenty of room to adjust the seat

Oh and almost forgot to say I got my seat from the wreckers today, 45 AUD came out of like a 06 Holden Barina, there was a much nicer one in a early 2000s Subaru Forester but the side walls would have became annoying within the first hour of use.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 am 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

You may want to go lower more of a cross between GT (more or less what you have there) to an LMP driver position.

I had myself high up and it wasn't right for Sim Racing. It was probably more comfortable, specially with the angle on the ankle to/for the pedals once I went lower (but again fixable on a DIY project).

Other thing I forgot to mention, eye level to me in the middle of the screen/s. As close to anyway.

Nice, I got my seat out of a Honda Accord. Nice leather seat too. Cost me $70,got lucky I think, car had only been there a few days at best. I expected to have to go back a few times before I got something I wanted.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Really messy still since I moved a bunch of stuff around to make it fit, still deciding if I need to put felt under the wood I just remove the sheet but this is the start of new setup.

Sold my second screen and bought a 32 inch 1440p 144hz Samsung which I plan to put on a swing arm to the left of my main monitor and just move infront of my wheel whenever I want to race, pretty good non dedicated racing setup I have started to build.

[img]blob:https://imgur.com/51f7f98a-8758-4ef9-849b-634abf1852d4[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Warms my heart to see a custom built rig.

I remember when I was first trying to get a sim rig many eons ago, there was basically no such thing as off the shelf solutions (at least ones that didn't cost thousands). If you wanted a rig you had to build it yourself.

So I did too just like below. Nice work.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

my monitor finally arrived tomorrow, starting iRacing again and will be battling it out in the Mazda Rookie cup all week, or longer since I like a good scrap and not too worried about fast tracking to D license.

Put some foam on the bottom to minimize damage to my floor, I really think 32 inch 16:9 was the way to go for single screen setup, I really think it is somewhat nicer than triple 24 inch I used to run overseas.

Got a buyer for my G920 so I am on the TMX Pro for now, since most of the Fanatec sellers I tried to buy from were flakes I will probably just buy whatever package has the discount on black friday, hoping it is the CSW 2.5 but everything points to the CSL Elite bundle. Either way with the recent price hike the discount will be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Looks very nice there.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill