Season Guide: https://tinyurl.com/y6gp3ax9
Guidelines, Rules and Regulations: https://tinyurl.com/y2okzpxc
Car and Tracks: https://tinyurl.com/y67mqg7h

Round Information
Date: Sunday 20 Oct 2019
Time: 7:45pm (AEDT) [Practice Open at 7:25]
Track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval
Car: Indycar (Oval)
Weather report: Clear & Sunny (Summer, all sessions at 14:00)
Server Name: ASR Season 7
Server Password: asrpc2
Race administrator: Veedub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Track notes: turn left.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

Then left again.

Also you only need 2 or 3 gears, so I'm going to bring a Kingswood 3 speed column shift gearbox for the weekend. Definitely nothing to do with cost savings. It's a performance advancement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:50 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Some homework for Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:36 pm 
Jenson Button
Driver ID: #72
Car Number: #77
Achievements:

Chigerama wrote:
Then left again.

Also you only need 2 or 3 gears, so I'm going to bring a Kingswood 3 speed column shift gearbox for the weekend. Definitely nothing to do with cost savings. It's a performance advancement.

Track Notes: I'm going to be able to drive this with a beer in one hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:29 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Hi all,

Results for Round 2 below. Oval racing certainly did prove to be quite a different experience!

Congratulations to Morc for taking pole with a margin of just 0.002 seconds. That has to be an ASR record!

Also congracts to Morc and Caelum for wins in Race 1 and Race 2 respectively.

Next week we're off to Nurburgring GP - a track we've not raced in recent memory - so will no doubt throw up some interesting results as well.

Check out tonight's results here: https://simresults.net/191020-h4S

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:51 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

I've got no idea what happened behind me in race 2 for me to get a 10 second gap on the field... But I'll take it I guess!

Managed to maintain it throughout the race, but still felt like I was a second a lap slower than I should have been. Something to look at closer.

Will have to take a look at the replays of both races to see what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 am 
Gilles Villeneuve

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Actually enjoyed racing ovals, was able to get close to the leaders in Qualy which I was happy with. Even close racing was fun being on the edge constantly.

Race 1 I got a good start but wasn't able to find a way past and got squeezed against the wall. Up to p5 but dirty air didn't help behind Veedub and coming into T2 of the second lap I ended up running against the outer wall with Flouncy on the in side, which let Erads through. From there I just set about doing my own race and clawing my way back up, though I was surprised at how much slower my pace was compared to practice and qualy. Lap 9 I come round T1 and see Flouncy, Cap and Veedub all slow/crashed out so I manage to sneak up to p4. Lap 11 Veedub gets past into T3 and I stick with him to slowly catch up to the cars in front, only to get dirty air on lap 13 and that was the last I saw of him.

Pitted on lap 17 and took it slow into the pits, after getting disqualified in Qualy. Stalled it, but got it going quickly and rejoined in p6 just behind Jase (who pitted at the same time as me) and Flouncy. Couldn't get a pack going to keep my speed up and quickly found Cap on my tail. Did my best to hold my line going high through T2 but rubbed the wall and that left an easy pass for him. Tried to stick with him but I went wide on lap 23 into the wall and that was the end of that.

Lap 28 I passed Jase exiting the pits but he came back at me and we went at it for a bit, giving each other room through the corners and straights. Thought he hit me through T4 on lap 33 and spun out, but that was him hitting the inside kerb fortunately. By that stage Chig had caught up to me and passed me on lap 36, putting me down to p4 which was p2 when Cap and Morcc pitted. Then reached the lead when Chig got spun out by Flouncy, which I was lucky to avoid so then put my head down to try and build a gap to the cars behind. Made my final pitsop on lap 46 (overshooting the pit box, lol) and pretty much drove it home to a solid p5.

Race 2 got off to a good start, was lucky to avoid Jase spinning out, but that left me exposed to the faster cars behind and I got swamped by Flouncy and Cap, only to hit the wall at T2 sending me back down to p7. Back to building the pace back up and seeing what would happen next, which it did on lap 6 after Flouncy, Veedub and Cap came together. By lap 9 Flouncy had caught up to me and we literally went at it lap after lap; Flouncy weaving all over the joint down the straights as I held it together both down the inside and outside through the turns. Literally had a death grip on my wheel to give Flouncy enough room. Veedub then joined the party and the 3 of us traded 3rd place until lap 18 when Veedub spun out behind me. Flouncy pitted the lap after which left me on my own while Chig pitted.

I pitted on lap 22 and tried to keep my speed up coming in. Sadly I came in a lot faster than before and was 22km/h over the limit, earning me a 10 second penalty. I was absolutely furious and tempted to just throw my wheel away and not bother racing anymore, especially with my 1st ASR podium on the cards. Soldiering on I pretty much kept driving as Flouncy and Morcc caught up. That got narrowed down to me and Flounce after Morcc spun out on lap 30. Final lap I got a bit too greedy and committed to the inside of T3 a bit too late, coming together with Flouncy who took the normal racing line. Nothing too major, we both crossed in P2 and P3 but I knew I was going to finish P5 so threw the car into the wall after the finish line cause I was absolutely furious with myself, especially when a 1-2 for Team Black would have been great.

The racing was fun and enjoyable, but for me personally it's overshadowed by the penalty that is starting to become a running theme based on my past 3 race weekends. I don't have high hopes for next round as PCARS complete joke of a penalty system (track extend in sector 3? year we'll invalidate your next lap, even if it's a corner that doesn't benefit the actual lap) is frustrating when trying to do practice. Or even career mode. Might stick with AMS or AC for the time being.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:51 am 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

You got a corner cut warning? Here? Invalidated lap just means your lap time isn't recorded, it doesn't affect the race result. Your race position doesn't change. You got a pitlane speeding penalty didn't you? It's a tricky one to get down to speed smoothly buy you should always practise entries and figure your braking point, nothing wrong with the game here, pitlane penalties are very black and white.

You did cop a record breaking ton of track cutting infringements at Imola, so for the next one, and any circuit, learn where you can cut, and can't, And just drive to avoid them. I have no prob with PC2 penalty system, you just gotta know where not to drive.

I spun Chig out? Sorry chig if so, wasn't aware of any contact. I did see you spin behind me, thought you must have clipped the wall.

Woods you're being very tough on yourself, you did great last night and we had some amazing close racing for several laps. That's what I came for, and leave satisfied.

Anyway, marvellous fun all up. Those many side by side pack laps were incredible. Race 1 all good til yet another three wide but luck ran out, I was inside close to the edge as I could be, the car on my right side jinked in and there was contact taking a few cars out. Got back up there and a decent result.

Race 2 I came aroud a bend to see carnage, lifted and braked, but too much and the car spun. Forgot to be gentle with it. Clawed back for some great battles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 am 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Stats are up, some amazing first time results and efforts here.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Had fun this round. I feel like I had some pace as Race 1 I worked myself up to P1, but my wheel issues returned and I lost control and had to reset it, twice, during the race. The second time I retired as I lost control on a high-speed part and was going to cause mayhem for others.

Race 2 after a game reload and wheel reset, my wheel was solid. Had an epic coming together with someone as I was overtaking them, I went low like I'd done many times with others but we connected on exit and it insta-flipped me and I ended up on my roof.
I hit the reset to car button to right myself and got back into it.
Clawed back a couple of places on pace and somehow managed to be classified 3rd in the end hehe

This wheel is pissing me off. Don't know what else I can do to fix it. Guess I could try getting in earlier and attend practice briefly, exit out of game and reload everything and see how that goes. Race 2 always seems solid after I reload the game and power cycle the wheel.
Unless it's a race length issue...
Annoying...

Anyway, fun round that one all the same. Even got to play the slipstream/tow game with my teamy for a couple of laps :)

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:08 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Flouncy wrote:
You got a corner cut warning? Here? Invalidated lap just means your lap time isn't recorded, it doesn't affect the race result. Your race position doesn't change. You got a pitlane speeding penalty didn't you? It's a tricky one to get down to speed smoothly buy you should always practise entries and figure your braking point, nothing wrong with the game here, pitlane penalties are very black and white.

You did cop a record breaking ton of track cutting infringements at Imola, so for the next one, and any circuit, learn where you can cut, and can't, And just drive to avoid them. I have no prob with PC2 penalty system, you just gotta know where not to drive.

Nah no corner cut warnings at last nights race, it was when I was doing single player stuff afterwards that I was super frustrated. Locking up into the final chicane at the Nurburgring and going straight on before slowly rejoining via the escape road is apparently corner cutting/exceeding track limits and my next lap should be invalid because of it. When that happens it's annoying, especially when the penalty system in private testing is super strict compared to online races (and therefore kind of inconsistent). Drive through penalties I have no issues with, the 2 I've had were clearly my fault. But again it's super frustrating to have it happen and cost you a good result.

Flouncy wrote:
Woods you're being very tough on yourself, you did great last night and we had some amazing close racing for several laps. That's what I came for, and leave satisfied.

I agree with you 100%, it's why I'm not mad with the race 1 result at all. Race 2 I would have been happy finishing anywhere because it would be a true representation of where I finished. The penalty takes that away from me sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:16 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Woody wrote:
Then reached the lead when Chig got spun out by Flouncy

Flouncy wrote:
I spun Chig out? Sorry chig if so, wasn't aware of any contact. I did see you spin behind me, thought you must have clipped the wall.

Nah, i don't think there was any contact there - pretty sure it was when you were behind me, and i was distracted by looking at your half-remaining wing after i saw you clip a wall somewhere (or so i thought i saw, behind me).

It was all fair racing in my books, pretty sure you were a couple of car-lengths behind me.

Though, i did spin out early in that first race due to contact as well... Haven't reviewed who that was, so if it was you, i demand retribution... or something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Interesting thing to note, and one I only picked up on when watching back the footage of this race, was how the game put me on the hard Primary tyres for both races. Anyone else have that? Probably what made my pace slower than what it needed to be

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Unless you specify a compound change in your pitstop we all get the same - and we all definitely start on the same hard tires.

Anyway, hard are way better to drive than the options.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Flouncy wrote:
Unless you specify a compound change in your pitstop we all get the same - and we all definitely start on the same hard tires.

Anyway, hard are way better to drive than the options.

Makes sense. Might see if the softs are better, but that's for a different time.

In the mean time I finished the Race 1 edit. Will have Race 2 up by tomorrow or Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:29 am 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Race 2 replay: