""

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:43 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Welcome to the Atomic Sim Racing Championship Season 7 Round 1.

Season Information
Season Guide: https://tinyurl.com/y6gp3ax9
Guidelines, Rules and Regulations: https://tinyurl.com/y2okzpxc
Car and Tracks: https://tinyurl.com/y67mqg7h

Round Information
Date: Sunday 13 Oct 2019
Time: 7:45pm (AEDT) [Practice Open at 7:25]
Track: Autodrome Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari (Imola)
Car: Indycar (Road)
Weather report: Clear & Sunny (Summer, all sessions at 14:00)
Server Name: ASR Season 7
Server Password: asrpc2
Race administrator: Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:39 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Hi all,

Results for Round 1 below. Imola is always a fun track and proved to throw up some good racing again.

Congratulations to JaseGP for taking pole with a very good lap, Flouncy for taking the Race 1 win and Veedub for clinching Race 2.

Commiserations to Woody for running out of fuel with 3 turns to go while running second and accidentally picking an oval car in Round 2. At least all your bad luck is spent in Round 1.

Captain - I think the scrutineers might want to have a look at your car. There is now way that thing is regulation width. ;) But in the meantime well done on some really good defensive driving.

Next week we're off to our first formal oval round at Indy. Remember - your right hand is for turning the wheel, your left hand is for holding your beer.

Check out tonight's results here: https://simresults.net/191013-bw7

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:43 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Very exciting season opener. Great speed everyone.

Woody is a threat!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:32 am 
Gilles Villeneuve

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Okay so kind of a race to forget; almost

First time doing round 1 of a season after 3 years of being here, which is an achievement in itself. Hoping I could do well and get some good results compared to where I have been (back of the pack).

Qualified 4th after putting in a stellar 1:29.516, my first sub 1:30 at this track which I was rapt with.

Race 1 I got a pretty poor start and got swamped by Cap on my left. Coming into turn 1 I completely overshot my braking marker and rear ended him, which then sent him into Veedub and spun them both out. Completely my fault there guys

Soon jumped up into P4 the lap after when Erad slowed down just before the hairpin and pulled over, probably because of some issue they may have had. Soon left me to chase Morcc down for P3 who pitted on lap 5. I then tossed that position away at Tamburello allowing Cap to go through, but got it back when I passed both him and Jase on lap 7 for the lead as they pitted for fuel. I pitted the lap after, but got a 10 second time penalty for speeding right before the pit line, and came out in p5 as Erad pitted behind me. Was looking good for the next 3 laps until I had to wipe my eye which got in the way of my TrackIR and left me blinded. Stopped at the hairpin and quickly fixed it, but that allowed Morcc back through so I gave chase whilst trying to save a bit of fuel here and there as I could see how marginal it was on my telemetry app.

Lap 14 I was able to get past Morcc into the last corner after he locked up and ran wide. Kept it tight to avoid contact while he gave me room which was good from both of us. Kept my head down and put in some solid laps as I caught up to the back of Jase after he pitted. I then backed it off a bit to try and save fuel and make it home on the 1 pit stop as I couldn't keep going flat out. Jase pits on lap 21 and at that point I realise I'm in for a chance to get my first ASR podium.

But to keep that podium I need to save fuel almost maximum and finish 10 seconds ahead of Cap, currently 18 seconds behind with Veedub not much further back. The next 4 laps are the toughest, hardest laps I've done in sim racing as I balance between fuel saving and raw pace to stay ahead. My fuel usage is slowly dropping and I start to believe I can make it.

I begin lap 26 and it slowly dawns on me that I won't make it, even with maximum fuel saving. But I try and pull all the stops out to make it happen, watching the fuel usage slowly tick down to 0. Exiting the chicane I pray I can roll down the hill and hopefully get some momentum into the pits, but that's all in vain as I stop under the bridge and have to retire. Disappointed in not getting the result I hoped for, but I at least know I have some pace to do it and you need to pit more than you think.

Race 2, we pretty much all know about it. The reason is because I had already pre-selected my liveries for both the oval and road cars, and when I went to change it I instinctly clicked the one that had it. Not realising that next to it was the road car, which didn't have the pre-selected livery. Not only that, but the car selection menu in the lobby cleary said it was the oval version. So pretty much I shot myself in the foot by not realising I had mucked up.

And I didn't even realise until turn 1 when I overshot the corner, despite having a great start and pulling away from Erad so easily (too easily). At that point it clicked and I realised I may be in the oval car, due to a higher speed and not hitting the rev limiter of 6th gear at the end of the main straight. Pretty much drove around as best as I could with lack of downforce until lap 15 when Veedub came to lap me. I was hoping to pull off to the left after the hairpin, but that didn't end well as Veedub went the same way and rammed into me, sending us both off. Looking back at the replay, Veedub appears a bit further behind and heading right towards the grass only to maybe internet lag and speed up right into me. Thankfully damage is only visual and it didn't ruin his chance of winning. My crew chief pretty much summed race 2 up:
[quote="Crew Chief]That was a fucking waste of time[/quote]

But it was fun and I enjoyed it. Learnt a few things which will hopefully allow me not to make them next time around. Consitently not track extending is one, 21 cut warnings in race 1 and about 36 in race 2. But at least I was second fastest in Sector 3 of race 2 :lol: Bring on next week

Also a question; any reason why fuel maps are locked and we can't select rich, normal and lean? I noticed this when doing the GT3's and it felt kinda weird running the same fuel mix constantly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Nice pace Woody! You had good pace each race.

Yeah when I pulled over my wheel had failed again. So had to give it a reboot. Worked, but I lost FFB the rest of the race.
Bizarrely it happened sometime later in the race causing me to have to pull over again and do the same.
Set me a good minute back in total I think.

I pitted once for a full tank. At the end I was prepping to stop on my penultimate lap to make it to the end. But as Woddy was saying he'd ran out of fuel, I was approaching the final corners and Flounce crossed ending the race so I could skip the pit stop and crossed the line with like 3L left in the tank lol

Afterwards, I went looking for updated drivers/firmware for my wheelbase and found a beta that's 7 versions higher, so applied that. Hopefully, that'll fix my wheel's tendency to give up for next race!

Race 2 I didn't have any wheel issues after restarting the game during the break.
After the first few laps I found myself in the lead with Flounce my teamy in second closing up with someone behind him.
Would've let him by at an appropriate time but I think he locked up into the second last corner and went steaming down my inside too fast punting me off. Luckily no spin so I recovered easily enough and got on with it.

Biggest part of race 2 was a battle with Jase. I defended for several (looking at stats, about 7-8) laps and he eventually got a move on me, but I stuck with it and we went synchronised driving, side-by-side for like half a lap! It was an awesome battle. 8-)
Jase eventually won out and disappeared up the road.

On to the next!

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Did anyone save the replay for Race 1? I forgot to and I wouldn't mind reliving some of my eternal battle with Veedub! And also seeing what on earth went on behind me at T1. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

captainleather wrote:
Did anyone save the replay for Race 1? I forgot to and I wouldn't mind reliving some of my eternal battle with Veedub! And also seeing what on earth went on behind me at T1. :)

Yeah I saved it. Will get it to you later tonight when I get home from work. Turn 1 was basically you going past me on the inside, then I misjudged my braking point and punted into you which sent you into Veedub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:41 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

Plonk it on google drive or similar?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:48 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

I’ll figure something out, I am an IT guy after all ;) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:21 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

So Race 1 I unfortunately handicapped myself before the race start by forgetting to refresh/load the loose setup. As a result I was stuck on the horrible half loose/half stable default setup. First corner I got a love tap from Cap and ran onto the gravel. It shouldn't have been a major impact as I was heading straight across the gravel and I likely would have rejoined in 3rd or 4th if I'd kept going, but meters from the edge I got impatient and tried to accelerate which immediately spun the car around and consigned me to last. *sigh* a learning experience I suppose.

Next lap I was losing time fiddling with ARB and brake bias to get the car a bit more manageable and then set out trying to recover positions. A few laps after I'd caught up to the back of Cap and that's all she wrote. Couldn't find a way past anywhere. Had a couple of goes and almost got past at Rivazza 1, but couldn't make it stick. A braking error the next lap saw me repay him for the love tap at the start of the race :twisted:, but still couldn't get past.

Tried to undercut in the pitstops - but ended up coming out right behind Cap. Man - was I getting sick of his rear wing. Last lap I threw everything at it (worth a watch if you have the replay), but no hope and then spun it coming out of Rivazza 2 trying to get drive for a dash to the line. Well done Cap - good defensive driving.

Race 2 I remembered to refresh load and the car felt much better. With Woody going straight at Traguardo and some other shenanigans down the straight after Tamburello I thought I would slot into P2 easily. But then the seas parted for Flouncy and he cut through the incident (and past me) like a hot knife through butter. Another nice moment to look at if you have the replay.

Towards the end of the lap I think Erad and Flouncy had bit of a coming together at Rivazza 1. Erad went wide and I picked up second behind Flouncy.

Next few laps had a really good battle with Flouncy. Almost got a run past him at Acque Minerali, but Flouncy was a bit slow accelerating out of the corner resulting in me giving him a slight tap, so I aborted the overtake. Next lap I tried again at the same place and this time got round him and coupled with Flouncy serving a slow-down managed to get past.

From there built out a bit of a gap and focused on maintaining it to the end of the race.

Woody - I think the touch we had on the last lap was likely netcode/comms related. On my replay we were well clear of each other and I was alongside/almost past you. I look to be clear and then the next minute your car jumps over to the left side of the track and we make contact...

I suspect it may have been my connection - I'd had a couple of network blips earlier on as well and had the same the day before on iRacing. Normally my comms is pretty stable, but had something going on last weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 pm 
Jean Behra
Driver ID: #18
Car Number: #999
Achievements:

Race 1 was a cock up. The pit stop fuel strategy I used only had 35lt and not 70lt that I had labeled it as. So that's why I was getting half fills. Doh

Race 2 was more fun when fighting with Erad as I was trying hard to get past and not take him off at the same time. It was epic.
Eradicator wrote:
Biggest part of race 2 was a battle with Jase. I defended for several (looking at stats, about 7-8) laps and he eventually got a move on me, but I stuck with it and we went synchronised driving, side-by-side for like half a lap! It was an awesome battle. 8-)
Jase eventually won out and disappeared up the road.
On to the next!

Now for the ovals which I'm new at so I will need to run a few laps before hand.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:50 am 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
Woody - I think the touch we had on the last lap was likely netcode/comms related. On my replay we were well clear of each other and I was alongside/almost past you. I look to be clear and then the next minute your car jumps over to the left side of the track and we make contact...

I suspect it may have been my connection - I'd had a couple of network blips earlier on as well and had the same the day before on iRacing. Normally my comms is pretty stable, but had something going on last weekend.

Does look like it. Looking at my replay you're behind me doing 60mph round the corner then somehow speed up to 100 when you hit me, while I'm doing about 57mph then reach 72mph as you hit me. I could see you behind me and that's why I swung left to allow you to take the racing line. Admittedly I could have taken a tighter line to make it easier, but alas the speedway car has the turning radius of a b-double truck. At least you were still able to win, I would have felt horrible if you didn't
:oops:

Race 1 replay:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1akDCK0 ... sp=sharing
Race 2 replay:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EFJttJ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:42 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Results page is now up as is all the stats.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Just an FYI Lambo my driver number is 16 and not 28. Results page says I'm 28, which is weird. I know I was #17 when I did a race at Monza in Season 11, but when I did my last race in season 12 at Silverstone I switched to 16.

Also if I do a race report would it be easy to get that added in?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:00 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
Tried to undercut in the pitstops - but ended up coming out right behind Cap. Man - was I getting sick of his rear wing. Last lap I threw everything at it (worth a watch if you have the replay), but no hope and then spun it coming out of Rivazza 2 trying to get drive for a dash to the line. Well done Cap - good defensive driving.

Yep! I saw you going for the undercut and was spamming the ptp to keep the lap times close!

Really enjoyed that battle and I knew that on the last lap there would be a move coming my way. Good fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:07 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

Woody wrote:
Just an FYI Lambo my driver number is 16 and not 28. Results page says I'm 28, which is weird. I know I was #17 when I did a race at Monza in Season 11, but when I did my last race in season 12 at Silverstone I switched to 16.

I can't give you #16 that's already used by another driver.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
Woody wrote:

I can't give you #16 that's already used by another driver.

Oh really? Out of curiosity who’s the driver with that number? That seems weird cause my profile is listed as having my number as 16. In that case, what are all the numbers available that I can choose from?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:36 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

I assume you edited your profile (you can change car number there). 28 is kinda locked in now for at least this championship because otherwise I have to delete all the results and do it again to change it. The reason why you have 28 is that when your profile was created that was the lowest number available at the time.

#16 belongs to Primo.

Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:39 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

Not that it really matters but icons for racing a complete season also haven't been doled out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
I assume you edited your profile (you can change car number there). 28 is kinda locked in now for at least this championship because otherwise I have to delete all the results and do it again to change it. The reason why you have 28 is that when your profile was created that was the lowest number available at the time.

#16 belongs to Primo.

Ah yeah I think I did based on number assignment from the last race I did. I’ll stick with 28 then, that works well and makes it easy for you