""

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Ok fuck my internet

Seriously, fuck it. It's fucking bullshit this NBN crap. Not even 20 minutes into the race and I get disconnected for no reason. And that's on top of everyone lagging through sector 2 of lap 1 which left me spinning out and a drive through for trying to balance the car in 1st gear

I'm fucking done. Never been more frustrated in my life with racing. I feel like Ricciardo at Suzuka last year, and I've barely raced for like a year.

Was so looking forward to night racing in a league, but that has now been washed down the drain. I honestly have no hopes for Indycar now, I might as well stick to bike riding and single player games.

Honestly feel like crying, it's that depressing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:40 pm 
Riccardo Patrese
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

And ASR's first PCars 2 Enduro is run and dusted.

Thanks to Flouncy, Ghost, Woody and Erad for joining in.

As with all enduro's - it was a case of attrition. Running a public lobby we managed to get numbers for race start up there, with 12 qualifiers, but attrition hit hard and fast with only 6 cars making it to the grid. By lap 6 that number had dropped to 3 (thanks NBN :evil: ), and by lap 15 it was down to two - Flouncy and Veedub.

Flouncy had taken the early lead, but Veedub was keeping him honest, staying with 3-4 seconds for the first 20 laps. But with night falling and temperatures dropping Veedub's McLaren was struggling to get heat into the tyres. This allowed Flouncy to open up the gap to 16 seconds as he went to pit on lap 26.

Veedub decided to stay out a few more laps to see if he close some of the gap with lighter fuel, pitting 4 laps later than Flouncy.

Flouncy had however made a slightly questionable strategy decision in his pitstop, putting on soft tyres. The extra pitstop time to change tyres had allowed Veedub to undercut Flouncy during the stop. And the soft tyres, while providing a pace boost for a few laps, were difficult to manage as the sun started to rise and with it temperatures.

A few mistakes by Flouncy gave Veedub a lead of about 15 seconds, and for the next 20 laps a game of cat and mouse ensued. Flouncy would steadily close the gap, but the fickle soft tyres would force a mistake giving Veedub a breather again.

With 5 laps to go Flouncy had clawed back the lead down to under 8 seconds and Veedub was feeling the pressure. But a mistake from Flouncy on Lap 48 put the lead out to over 15 seconds, allowing Veedub to take the win, and with it the crown of ASR PCars 2 Enduro Champion!

Check out the results here: https://simresults.net/191006-1ut

Cheers
Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:43 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Sim racing mate. That just happens, and it'll happen again maybe, or something else. Gear fails. Bad luck on the track. Many choices of injustices. Yeah it's a major blow every time and hurts but steel yourself if you want to do more, and you should.

I bollocksed the race. Had a comfy 15 sec lead at pit time so decided to be clever and fit softs. Which added 45 secs to the stop but I thought I'd make that up with wonder tires. But I'd never driven those tires... they were shit after two laps and got to 110 degrees. No grip, ran off many times, many slowdown penalties, 4 major spins. After a flawless first hard stint. So yeah, I'm gutted too:)

But it was great fun, if a little underpopulated. Defo worth doing again. Good job Veedub.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:24 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

It's more the frustration of coming back for my first race in like, a year and a half maybe, doing a lot of preperation, giving up 4.5 hours work tomorrow morning and having it ruined by shitty internet with no warning. Everything else I can roll with, even finishing 5 laps down I would have been happy to finish the race

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 am 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

Yeah, it sucks. We all know the feeling and it's a bad one. Very unfair especially when you're so committed and excited about the race. But keep going. All you need is one clean race with no drama to wash it away and feel good again about racing. Hang in there Woods, we know how you feel, it'll pass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Woody, is there anything that can be done with your net connection? I agree that the NBN has been (intentionally) bastardised into a hopeless and expensive basket case, but there are some possible avenues to trying to get the best out of it. Without knowing your situation, can you change provider or have a tech test your lines not only to the exchange but also within your property? I'm a renter for example and so have no control over the quality of the lines in the house I live in (and the owner has no interest either). But I was still able to have a tech come test the lines from the kerb to through out the house, find that the pair I was using was shorted halfway up the run and cobble together a workable solution from the remaining conductors that were available. This made some noticeable difference to my performance (yay for 19th century tech!).
And also there's the obvious issue of crappy providers too.
Apologies if you've already looked into all this stuff and it sounds like cheap advice - shitty internet is frustrating and a ball-ache.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 pm 
Gilles Villeneuve

Achievements:

captainleather wrote:
Woody, is there anything that can be done with your net connection? I agree that the NBN has been (intentionally) bastardised into a hopeless and expensive basket case, but there are some possible avenues to trying to get the best out of it. Without knowing your situation, can you change provider or have a tech test your lines not only to the exchange but also within your property? I'm a renter for example and so have no control over the quality of the lines in the house I live in (and the owner has no interest either). But I was still able to have a tech come test the lines from the kerb to through out the house, find that the pair I was using was shorted halfway up the run and cobble together a workable solution from the remaining conductors that were available. This made some noticeable difference to my performance (yay for 19th century tech!).
And also there's the obvious issue of crappy providers too.
Apologies if you've already looked into all this stuff and it sounds like cheap advice - shitty internet is frustrating and a ball-ache.

I live with my parents, so it's on them and they would want me to pay towards the bill. Which I don't plan on doing yet cause I'm still saving up. And it's still FTTN, which is the dumbest NBN option they could have come up with.

I have a feeling it was my brother playing his online games that caused it, the 2 issues I had were all around when he was playing. Typical teenager he is he swears a lot and we all have to hear it. I'll upload my race footage (or what there is of it) so you can see how it all unfolded. Plus I discovered my audio for Qualifying wasn't on, but was for the race when I went to enable my mic audio. Will sort it out for next race.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 pm 
Giuseppe Farina

Car Number: #7
Achievements:

Hey Woody,

Sometimes disconnection is not necessarily NBN related. I have experienced a few times where i have dropped out of a PC2 race partial/full game crash. I had/have a reliable connection FTTP too.

You could check your router or event logs to see if its NBN or local network issues.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:25 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

Sorry I missed it fella's I got caught up watching the footy. Sounds like you guys had a good battle :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:37 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

Seems like from Flouncy's post that you decided to run tyre deg. How did that play out? Good addition?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Achievements:

captainleather wrote:
Seems like from Flouncy's post that you decided to run tyre deg. How did that play out? Good addition?

Nah tire deg was off. I just took a chance on softs because it was a long race and I had a bit of a lead, really really bad decision :) I'd never driven softs before, really should have familiarised myself with them first...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:30 pm 
Riccardo Patrese
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Yeah - no tyre deg, but I was surprised how much of a difference the ambient temperature made to tyre performance. In my case I couldn't get heat into the fronts after the sun set and this had a massive impact on speed - probably 1 - 1.5s per lap. Interestingly the HUD showed all my tyres in a pleasant shade of green the whole time. The only way I knew of the issue was Jim (CrewChief) constantly updating me on track temp dropping and with it my front tyres getting cold. I did also notice that the pressure on the tyres dropped, from 1.74 bar in daylight to about 1.69 bar at the coldest. (Only on fronts, and the whole time the tyres being in the perfect shade of green...). So my nice balanced McLaren that I practised with turned into a dog of an understeery beast :?

I've done a bit of analysis on this (see below) and you can see how my laptimes start to drop off after lap 16 and then come back to me around lap 37... This may be an issue with the McLaren and how it manages the fronts - as Flouncy in the Renault didn't seem to have similar issues overnight. You can also clearly see where the race was lost. Flouncy's laptimes were extremely consistent until he switched to softs in his pit on L25. While his times remained competitive after, the inconsistency and associated incidents is what decided the race in the end. Although with the temperatures rising the car did come back to me towards the end with my best laps in the last two laps of the race. If Flouncy had only stayed on hards I reckon this could have ended up being a very close finish...

As you can see from the in-depth analysis, I really enjoyed this. Very different to our standard sprint races, but a great experience in it's own right. Definitely keen to do more of this and having now confirmed that 2 hours racing in VR is fine, I'm definitely going to also to participate in some iRacing enduro special events going forward.