""

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

Does anyone have any tips to try to get me going in the right direction in iracing?

I have a C license and find myself lost for what to do, previously I enjoyed racing the mx5's to get where I am but I have ruined my Irating and need to try and pick a series to start working on fixing everything.

Does anyone have experience with any C rated series etc?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:46 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

Been a while since I've done any racing, let alone iRacing. But for what it's worth:

Drive something you like to drive, doesn't matter if it's a Class D series and you have a A-Licence. Keep driving that same car. No different to here at ASR, from what I can tell you guys are sticking to the Indy Car for another season. Because you guys enjoy driving the car and you know the car. So drive the same car over and over in iRacing as you know it. And your iRating and SR go up with it.

Also, don't worry about iRacing and SR. Worry about race results, lap times and your own consistency and ENJOYMENT! (goes back to drive a car like you like too).

SR opens up other races you can do, but the that mean open set up and harder competition.

I raced the RUF GT3 (fixed) for a couple of seasons, REALLY wanted to do the GTE's when they came out, so i did that for a season, my SR and iRacing tumbled every single race. I felt like a real amateur sim racer again, getting lapped, making stupid errors. But in parts it was because i wasn't playing with set ups (i suck at it, just pulled set ups off forums) i didn't put in the hours to learn the tracks/car. And i started to not enjoy it. So I got back into the RUF GT3's and enjoyed it again.

I've got the A-Licence, iRating currently sitting at 1184, but I'm around the 1400 mark. But again none of that REALLY matters. I'm aiming to get my iRating to 1500 (not going to happen anytime soon when i don't race, ever). But that's a personal goal. iRating just help the system group you into Divisions, and splits (if/when numbers are big) and the complex system of SOF and Championship Points given.

Only reason to do C-Class races is to get your MPR stats up to get your SR up so you "unlock" the next licence.

Plenty of guys out there with an A-Licence who continue to race the Skippy's because they enjoy it.

------

Not sure that helps. But how have you ruined you iRacing? in the MX-5? or another car?

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:14 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

You dont necessarily have to only do C class races if you have a C license. I'm a C and I've been racing skippys the past few weeks and will continue to do so this upcomng season and probably the next one too. They may not be as fast as some of the other cars but they are a hell of a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:05 pm 
Riccardo Patrese
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Pete makes a good point. Picking a car/ series and sticking with it makes a lot of sense. After flip flopping around for a while I decided to give one series a go and stick with it. I eventually settled on F3 as I like open wheelers, it is a really fun car to drive and has good participation.

I've now run F3 for 3 seasons and it is equal parts exstacy and agony. If you have a good race it is without equal. But you'll only get a decent race 1 out of 3, for the other 2 some fool will take you out in the first few laps. Being an open wheeler that will be the end of your race.

So in good faith I cannot recommend anyone racing F3's. It will frustrate you, make you swear and make you throw your peripherals against your screen in disgust. (true life story)

So what am I going to race this season?.....

F3's OF COURSE!!!

Because there is always that one race :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:16 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

good advice , I think that's it I keep jumping around doing abit of this and abit of that..

Just have to pick something, I guess i'll have a look at the new seasons and see whats on. It starts again this week as far as I can tell. Need to pick something quick! :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:05 pm 
Alan Jones
Driver ID: #72
Car Number: #77
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:
good advice , I think that's it I keep jumping around doing abit of this and abit of that..

Just have to pick something, I guess i'll have a look at the new seasons and see whats on. It starts again this week as far as I can tell. Need to pick something quick! :?

I know the skip barbers on paper sounds really shit, but in my opinion this formula provides the most intense close racing I've experienced in simracing.

The cars ffb feels great and lively, there's a reason why its still one of the most popular series on iracing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Driver ID: #36
Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Yeah I agree, the Skippy is a great series.

G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

rogue eclipse wrote:
Yeah I agree, the Skippy is a great series.

G
mrtran77 wrote:
VikRacer wrote:

I know the skip barbers on paper sounds really shit, but in my opinion this formula provides the most intense close racing I've experienced in simracing.

The cars ffb feels great and lively, there's a reason why its still one of the most popular series on iracing.

Is there a place where you guys get setups for these or anything like that? I will give them a go, I wish I could see where the line up for next season is so I can see what tracks ill need and stuff like that. Might have to just wait for it to start.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

I've uploaded next seasons schedule here
FYI Centripetal Circuit = Catalunya.

The Skip Barber is pretty much almost a fixed series, so you don't really need to adjust the setup much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 am 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
Pete makes a good point. Picking a car/ series and sticking with it makes a lot of sense. After flip flopping around for a while I decided to give one series a go and stick with it. I eventually settled on F3 as I like open wheelers, it is a really fun car to drive and has good participation.

I've now run F3 for 3 seasons and it is equal parts exstacy and agony. If you have a good race it is without equal. But you'll only get a decent race 1 out of 3, for the other 2 some fool will take you out in the first few laps. Being an open wheeler that will be the end of your race.

So in good faith I cannot recommend anyone racing F3's. It will frustrate you, make you swear and make you throw your peripherals against your screen in disgust. (true life story)

So what am I going to race this season?.....

F3's OF COURSE!!!

Because there is always that one race :twisted:

I just grabbed the F3 and its great I won one of those week 13 fun races on Tsukuba its a little bit like the PC2 Indy car we have been racing but with less down force sorta like it wants to kill you, I'm going to give this F3 and the Skippy a try I think. Thanks for all the input fellas I think the main problem was I hadn't found something to get into or a clear path after the MX5's. I appreciate you all sharing what you have learned to save me some hassle :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:36 pm 
Riccardo Patrese
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:
I just grabbed the F3 and its great

It is

VikRacer wrote:
sorta like it wants to kill you

It does

VikRacer wrote:
I'm going to give this F3 and the Skippy a try I think.

Get ready for the rollercoaster ride that is F3. You'll love it except for when you hate it. :D

Send me a friend invite on iracing (Pieter van Wyngaard) and we can get some friendly rivalry going on the F3's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
Send me a friend invite on iracing (Pieter van Wyngaard) and we can get some friendly rivalry going on the F3's.

Sounds good but I went into an open practice last night and I am WAY off the pace @ Suzuka, might not be able to keep up with you if that was anything to go by. I'm enjoying the F3 but i'm going to need some practice :)

edit: Vee I sent you a friends request I also noticed your A license! you will see my record is pathetic I have not raced much even though I have had Iracing a long time. I don't take it too seriously as there are many fast people in the world. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm 
Riccardo Patrese
Achievements:

Yeah, just got the invite & sorted.

In my view best way to treat iRacing is to forget about SR and IR and just race for the fun of it. It's very easy to get sucked into chasing rating and loose the fun.

With racing a full season on F3s in particular you'll find stretches when everything just clicks and your rating soars. And then you'll have a torrid run, crash out of every race and it will plummit. This will drive you crazy if you keep watching the ratings.

To this day I'm not sure how I hit A licence. I just raced and it sort of happened. Although the delicate nature of F3's was probably a big driver. You look at this car sideways and you get a meatball. So you learn to git gud at avoiding incidents quickly.

Pace wise I'm 1s off the fast guys and 2s off the aliens myself. Time in the car helps a lot. I probably gained .5s pace between my first and second season. Setups are huge as well. I suspect the fast guys spend hours tweaking setups. I just tend to find a reasonable setup off a couple of usual sources, and then tweak it to my style. I'd rather race vs fiddling with setups. :D

Single split that pace gets me mid pack, potentially top 5 finish (If there's a bit of carnage). If dual split that pace usually has me running with the leaders.

If I make it past the first corner that is.

Look forward to seeing you pit there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:58 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

yep its tough man i'm very slow, maybe too slow to race i think 1:54's no idea on a tune :roll: more practice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:11 am 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

As Veedub said

The pace will come as you spend more and more time on the car, can't expect to be right on pace from the get go. Not to mention, with all racing, specially in iRacing, and sound alike F3 is huge, avoiding incidents and staying on track is key to good results.

Better to be 3 seconds off the pace than going off track every other lap (SR Killer) and you loose way more than 3 seconds a lap when going off track.

Racing is about consistency, get that right and the speed will naturally come. As will enjoyment and fun of racing. I mean who likes going off track when racing?

Remember you can do you to 4 races a week and only your beat result counts towards the division champion (5 and more and the math changes) to an average of two.

And our division position is where you need to be looking at. If you're Division 6 or something, there is no point in looking at division 1 driver speed and results. As their iRating is way higher. You may be all racing together in the same session. But you're all racing for your own division results for the season.

Edit: iRacing requires a slight change in mentality to racing versus a league.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

thanks mate all good tips and yes I am division 7 and was looking at division 1-3 times so that would have made it worse..

So if I race another advanced mazda race today and I do better than I did last night It will just ignore last nights race and give me the better result?

Edit: I wasn't really thinking about the divisions properly and that you are racing against those results

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

Quote:
So if I race another advanced mazda race today and I do better than I did last night It will just ignore last nights race and give me the better result?

Exactly, you can race up to 4 races a week, and only your best points result race will be the one the count for the week. If you do more than 4, it's more complex maths (which i forget how it works, but know it's better to only do 4 races, otherwise you need to do 8).

SoF or Strength of Field helps iRacing to determine the Championship Points you earn, you may notice finishing 5th out of 10 drivers in two difference races but get different points. That's due to the SoF essentially (from my understanding) its the average of the iRatings of all the drivers in the race. So the Higher the SoF, usually the higher the points scored. Forums often chat about SoF races, meaning certain times where the SoF is at it's peak (people tend to race at the same time and day every week, so you race at the same times as people with a much higher iRating to "score" more points and people can chase iRating - avoid doing this).

But the car number you have is the position the system expects you to finish in (given by iRating rank, higher to lowest). USUALLY (not always) if you're car number #7 and you finish in 5th, you'll get a boost in iRating.

SR, the less incidents you have the better. So going off track is bad, cutting corners is bad, contact with a wall is bad, and contact with another car is worse (whether it's your fault of not its a 4x count on incidents).

So if you do want/need to chase SR, it's simple to do, (i managed to get out of rooking in 1 day doing 4 races) and got A-licence after 1 season. But this was after speaking to and getting a fair bit of advice from a few of the guys here at ASR on how iRacing works. Easiest way to chase SR is to not worry about results. going slow and staying out of trouble and have zero incidents.

-------

I've always set myself an aim to be in page one of my division of results, then if I'm there, i chance to top 10, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:41 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Ok well i'm off and moving in the right direction now I did a few races today unfortunately 2 of them caused a computer crash as I hit the join race button and both of them made me lose Irating which was a bit frustrating, Somehow I got promoted to B but my rating is pathetic.. I'll keep on racing with these pointers and hopefully it will climb up with some more consistency,
Cheers for all the tips mate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 am 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

Try heading in the same direction as the other cars, that usually works for me :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:19 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

Parkour wrote:
Try heading in the same direction as the other cars, that usually works for me :lol:

that might just work :)