It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Erad does drag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:20 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

I went to the SMP drag strip last night with a mate. He on his Honda CBR 1000 RR and I of course in my A45.

Having gone the week before just to spectate, it turns out it's quite involved. We're pumped to give it a crack, but quietly shitting ourselves :lol:
After doing our recon and having about 70% of an idea of how it all worked we went and bought the extra safety gear we needed to enter ourselves. I just had to buy a helmet.

Love the livery 8-)

After getting through scrutineering we were off to the pits to line up.
Lots of fancy cars about...

A long wait between goes depending on incidents that might hold up proceedings, about 30-45mins.
Then I finally got to go.

I was crapping myself to much to be bothered with trying a race launch first go. Just wanted to get a feel for it.

Pretty proud of that effort if I'm honest. Not great start but kept up to a semi-recent V8 and was pulling him in. 8-)
A loss, but I'm happy/impressed with my little chipped A45.
Results:
He won, but I was clawing him back (easily seen in the in-cabin footage)

Second go, I attempted to engage launch control. Computer said no, so just did normal take-off :(

I handily beat the guy, but the devil is in the detail. The Supra I was up against waited 3s before taking off and posted quicker times. Likely handicapping himself to avoid the 10s disqualification time.
This night is just for road cars. 10s is deemed you car aint no normal road car so will get disqualified if you post a quicker time.
We noticed many were handicapping themselves after the green light. Then on their final runs fo rthe night giving it the full beans and going sub.
So I suspect the Supra was just warming up for later.

A win, but I feel a hollow one.

Last go, I was up against an RS3. Perfect match.

I pull up to the lights and once again, my computer said no to launch control :cry: :x :cry:
Crap.
My mate said everyone trackside was expecting a good fight being equal category cars.
He said it looked good track side.
For me, I was smashed lol.

He got launch control working, can hear him rev it.
I'm internally face-palming haha.

Pretty sure it was the latest model RS3 too, so already beefier than mine. My stage 1 mod would help a lot, but he was pulling even at the end so he probably had his chipped too.
Just wish my stupid launch control engaged for a fair fight.

Anyway, much fun. Likely heading back for another go when I do some research into why the car computer can deny launches. Temps were fine so it wasn't that don't think.

If only they told you your 0-100kph times on those sheets...

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

Post subject: Re: Erad does drag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:24 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Driver ID: #36
Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Looks like a fun night out, well done on giving it a crack! Look forward to seeing what you can do if you get LC working!

G

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

Nice! Never understood drag racing myself, rather track day. SMP run off street drags every Wednesday don't they?

BTW, get yourself an OBDII bluetooth thing and get this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_AU

There is a slight delay, so it's not great to use "live" but you will get 0-100kph times. plus a heap of other data you may want to see or know about after each run. eg. temps (assuming the car doesn't give you a digit reading of oil and coolant temps)

AMG has a GPS tracker and know you're on a drag strip so doesn't allow LC to work?!?!?!?! :o

ps. looks like it better to not run on the same line as the drag cars? you seem to be off the "racing line" to one side or the other.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:17 am 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

petevo wrote:
Nice! Never understood drag racing myself, rather track day. SMP run off street drags every Wednesday don't they?

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan either. It's fun, but like I'm mostly done with it really. It's more about nailing the reaction time at this point and LC.
I had two 13 second flat runs. Literally not much more for me to try to get better.

My mate on his bike has all sorts of things he's trying to do and co-ordinate in comparison. He could probably go another three times before feeling he's getting done with it.

I'm already pivoting to thinking about a track day instead. (while I can lol)

Regular street car drags every Wed, yep.

petevo wrote:
BTW, get yourself an OBDII bluetooth thing and get this app:

Yeah have one but it might be broken. There's a GPS app I've used previously. Seems accurate enough.
See here:
viewtopic.php?p=48813#p48813

My dash shows pertinent temps. Oil/engine, coolant and gearbox I believe.

petevo wrote:
AMG has a GPS tracker and know you're on a drag strip so doesn't allow LC to work?!?!?!?! :o

:lol: I hope not.

petevo wrote:
ps. looks like it better to not run on the same line as the drag cars? you seem to be off the "racing line" to one side or the other.

That could be more just me having NFI.

They were meticulously cleaning and re-rubbering the whole launch zones. They've brooms to clear muck off with after every go, and gas canisters that appeared to be used to heat the track, or melt the rubber on track to smooth it? I really don't know, when we spectated last time there was definite heat waves coming up from the track as they did something.
Then I think once everyone has had a go, a tractor with an articulating arm at the rear, laden with old tire tread gets lowered and then dragged up and down the launch zone, the entire width. I guess to literally lay down more rubber.

Full-on professional stuff. So I'm not sure there's a best line or position at the start line. They maintain the whole thing pretty well.

I could be entirely wrong of course, hehe

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:54 am 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #18
Car Number: #999
Achievements:

Wow cool video and event, good to see you out there having a go with your car. Your mate on the bike would be quick as those CBR 1000RR are a weapon.

Cool helmet as well.

Those OBD2 devices work well for $20 or so plus the app.

So now with your drag strip runs you will be the gun off the line in PC2 :lol: :lol:

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 am 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Brilliant! Good on you for doing it. Get that launch control sorted for next time, or get a car that works properly :)

Best bit is the helmet tho.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm 
Carlos Reutemann

Achievements:

Pity launch control didn't work, but still looks as though you had a good few runs. That thing can shift fast though!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:48 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

I feel like I know your car Erad we must live or work near each other.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 am 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

After reading around a bit I've discovered another way to launch. Other AMG owners refer to it as a soft launch.
I read the manual and Mercedes seems to refer to it as start-off assist (so corporate lol).

The manual seems to imply it's only available on non-AMG vehicles, but with AMG owners saying it's a thing, I gave it a go Friday last week and found it worked too.
Just hold the brake, and stomp the accelerator while at a standstill.
Much easier than the flappy padel race start initiation sequence!

Not sure the difference between race start and the "soft launch" but at this point, I don't care too much. I'll take either.
The soft launch is quicker and seems less finicky.
Might try reading up some more if there actually is a difference.

Probably give the drags another crack if not this week, next week.

VikRacer wrote:
I feel like I know your car Erad we must live or work near each other.. :)

Yeah? 8-)
I personally haven't seen another green A45 FL around, so chances are if you've seen one around western Sydney it could well be me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:33 am 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

I live Rouse Hill work Arndell Park, I probably saw you on your way to the track last week while I was at work :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

Ah, then it could have been me!
I use Doonside Rd and Bungarribee Rd for my work commute, goes right by your work.

Long ago I briefly had a job at a PC refurbishment place in Arndell Park... they serviced HP gear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:03 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

small world :)