It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Project Far Reach

So with my PC builds, I tend to splurge on all high-end gear and use it for about 3+ years, then do it all again.
It allows me to run games at max settings typically over the whole length of that time frame too which is nice.
This build isn't much different, but with me tying the knot next year, I foresee that I'll be much poorer, what with buying a new house down the track and furnishing it, bills and all that fun stuff. So it could be a while before I can splurge again.

Enter Project Far Reach, my next PC to take me into the future. Ryzen 3000 is the perfect time to upgrade my X99 system (4+ years old, impressive). It still holds up pretty well actually, 6-core 12-threads with quad-channel memory. Still respectable by today's standards.
I went X99 back then mainly because it had the guaranteed upgrade path. I ended up going from the 5930K up to the 6850K, a nice drop-in upgrade.
AM4 will afford the same longevity, if not even longer! So it's perfect. Even if Intel technically has the best gaming CPU's atm, there's no upgrade path on the current platform which is alreayd long in the tooth. For the price and oodles of multi-thread performance AMD is offering plus drop-in upgrade possibilities at the cost of a few percent single thread performance, it's kind of a no brainer.

The only things I'm bringing across are the GPU (2080 Ti), PSU (1200W) and HDD's.
Everything else is brand new.

Went the MSI MEG Ace as it has triple M.2 slots (future-proofing!) and a heat pipe to the chipset = better longevity on that stupid little fan. It has zero RPM mode though, so that helps.

Yes... I'm going all out RGB 8-) :lol:
If it can glow and pulse, I got it...
Jumping knee-deep into the rainbows hehe

And knee-deep I went. I like Corsairs RGB ecosystem as it has more variety plus I already had keyboard and mouse from them; but the fans, dear lord the cabling is a bloody nightmare.
I've since discovered post-build that I also have to plug them into the hub in the order I want them, can't re-arrange them in software... lame
So have to re-plug everything into the hubs at some point. If I can be bothered.

Here's my "cable management" behind the mobo tray.
Did try to tie runs together, but there's only so much you can do.
The corsair hubs (all 4 of them!) found a nice home up in the top right above the HDD cage.

I'm rather proud of this stacked 16-wide fan/RGB cable wiring loom I made 8-)

Thankfully this case has a plate that hides most of the wiring for that clean look with the panel off. There's no hope of cable managing the Fan/RGB hubs well.

On the more important side of the case, things look much better 8-)

Only cabling you really see is the white Strimer cables.
Strimers only come in 24-pin and dual PCIe 8-pin versions.
The more cluey folk will have seen I have one on the dual 8-pin EPS connectors.
While running two is completely unecessary, the PCIe 8-pin can be hacked to fit into the EPS connector, and with the Strimer built to work with dual 8-pin connections, I might as well run both cables in and get the full triple Strimer effect going :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tried to make the dual 8-pin Strimers as vertical as possible to make it look nice and purposeful. Hard to bend them uniformly around multiple tight radii. This seemed the best solution for maximum RGB goodness :D

The result...

Yep even the sound card has RGB :lol:

I have LED strips around the top and back of the case for more inner glow, plus a strip that sticks on the outside rear of the case to light up the room behind the case.

On the side I sit on you get this cool effect...

Here's a look at it with all that RGB hotness

I later realised I hadn't removed an inner protective film on the side panel, so it's possibly not as clear is it should look.

Here it is with the FAN RGB's off. Stimers look better on camera here.

You may notice I've a push/pull config on the rad. I'm considering swapping the fans around so I can get the side vent effect out the top vents of the case too and also reduce the light inside a tad so the Strimer lights are more defined. Kinda get washed out a tad atm. Removing top RGB glow will help there.
Also considering getting more LED strips and daisy-chaining off the one out the back of my case, run it along under my desk for some desk under-glow too. :lol: :lol:

Current RAM is just to get me by until the G.Skill Trident Neo kit I've ordered shows up. 3600@14CL... yummy.

Haven't touched overclocking yet. Not sure I'll bother. Probably wait until the better ram comes and just tweak/OC the memory.

4 years gone and I've doubled my core/thread count. Such progress!

With a nice CPU upgrade path, 2x spare M.2 slots for more drives later, a PSU that can handle everything, a gorgeous case and RGB spew everywhere to match my mood, I think this can be called a success. 8-)

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:40 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Nice build Mark. It's interesting to see our different philosophies on gaming setups now. I've now totally embraced mobile laptop gaming. It's been the best part of 3 years since I bothered building a desktop PC and TBH I don't think I could go back.

Still there is a part that misses the fresh unboxing of a GPU or motherboard, hitting that power-on button for the first time.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

:shock:

Reminds me of a holiday I had in Vegas :mrgreen:

great build mate really well finished good job!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 pm 
Alan Jones
Driver ID: #72
Car Number: #77
Achievements:

I feel like I'm in Vegas... 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:47 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:

Reminds me of a holiday I had in Vegas :mrgreen:

:lol:

Reminds me of Time Square.

Erad wrote:
MSI MEG Ace as it has triple M.2 slots (future-proofing!

*facepalm" not this term here again "future-proofing".

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

petevo wrote:
*facepalm" not this term here again "future-proofing".

Mmm?

"Planned upgradability and expandability" work better?

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Driver ID: #36
Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Good to see someone else who takes my approach to building a PC! (the going for longer usage bit, not the neon bit - although that does look spectacular).

Still enjoying my 6850k from 2016, and probably won't upgrade again until 2022 (well, with the exception of a new GPU at some point, although the 1070 is still proving well up to the task) and Mrs G is still happily using my old 3930k from 2012.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm 
Giuseppe Farina

Car Number: #7
Achievements:

Nice one Erads, and thanks for your recommendations on the Ryzen thread.

Nice little pickup on the AE-5, would be interesting to see what you think of onboard vs expansion audio.

Slightly different topic, I purchased a DAC+Amp for my PC bookshelfs to obtain depth, clarity, range, something small satelites 2.1 system struggle with.

SMSL AD18 <$200
Should be delivered in the next week or so, ill let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Sound card wise, the new EVGA Nu Audio is the ants pants to have. I bought one yesterday, it's on the way. I'll use it in my desk PC which is all about premium audio. Have been running an Asus Essence II for years, it's excellent, this is better. Also bought a Bursen v5i-D opamp to slot in and some magnificently over-priced cables. Mission is to feed my fancy Audeze LCD headphones good quality music and justify my premium Tidal sub.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01281/evga-nu-audio/

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Sou ... gJHdPD_BwE

Quite excited.

Racing rig uses a SB ZxR which is much better for gaming than music.

Onboard mobo audio is fine for gaming but terrible for all music, no matter what the board or DAC is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:21 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
Nice build Mark. It's interesting to see our different philosophies on gaming setups now. I've now totally embraced mobile laptop gaming. It's been the best part of 3 years since I bothered building a desktop PC and TBH I don't think I could go back.

Still there is a part that misses the fresh unboxing of a GPU or motherboard, hitting that power-on button for the first time.

Interesting!
Do you do the whole external GPU thing or use inbuilt dGPU?

I guess for me, desktop systems are nicer because I can replace/upgrade anything at will. I can certainly see the benefits of a gaming laptop though.

The whole lights and neon in my build this time around was more just because of the theme I went with.
I tend to have theme/concept with my builds, this one was simply RGB everything hehe.
Most of my other builds haven't worried all that much about aesthetics, more about function.

mesafto wrote:
Nice little pickup on the AE-5, would be interesting to see what you think of onboard vs expansion audio.

I was thinking of getting some kind of external DAC. I'm no expert in that area but I understand it removes all the RF/power ripple noise stuff that onboard particularly suffers from, but also internal add-in cards to a smaller degree.

AE-5 was 70% me wanting to upgrade from the Sound Blaster Z, and 30% it had RGB lol
I was considering just going onboard for once, but I do like the extra audio controls on offer in the creative software suite. And after looking at a few onboard audio reviews, they're still not entirely in the same league as dedicated, though they're certainly a lot better than they used to be yonks ago.
The virtual 7.1 surround offered by the AE-5 for my headphones is particularly nice as the headphones I have haven't got the best, um, channel separation? Not sure what it's called off the top of my head. I can sometimes struggle to tell where a sound is coming from. I can fiddle with that now in software to help things.

mesafto wrote:
SMSL AD18 <$200
Should be delivered in the next week or so, ill let you know how it goes.

Please do. Good brand?

rogue eclipse wrote:
Good to see someone else who takes my approach to building a PC!

/high five! 8-)

Flouncy wrote:
Racing rig uses a SB ZxR which is much better for gaming than music.

Seen this?
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster ... aster-ae-9
The release of this popping up in news not that long ago is what led me to finding the older AE-5.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Only briefly looked at that new SB. My audiophile mate looked over all the specs and basically insisted I get the EVGA Nu Audio - 99% on the strength of its AKM DAC and ADC. That's the preferred DAC brand for high falutin audiophiles and he was amazed to see it in a PC sound card.

The Nu Audio also plays D3D sound files natively, which is apparently another surprising thing for a sound card not that I expect to actually use that format much or ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:09 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

Eradicator wrote:
Interesting!
Do you do the whole external GPU thing or use inbuilt dGPU?

No the GPU on this N/B is a GTX 1070 which does the job fine for pretty much most things. The next upgrade will be when the RX models are more common and I'll steal one from the office.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Driver ID: #36
Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Do the laptops still struggle with heat? I have a first gen Razer Blade floating around. It was decently specced for the time (early 2012) but the thing got like a furnace if you ran anything remotely graphics intensive on it (used to play a bit of Star Wars: The Old Republic on it, and started my Atomic career on Codies F1).

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:47 pm 
Sebastian Vettel
Driver ID: #15
Car Number: #9
Achievements:

It's so preettty. Nice case too. Well done finally getting it built Mark. It's so fun having a new system isn't it. My old system was your old system so doubly fun for me. Love the front glass panel, very open.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

rogue eclipse wrote:
Do the laptops still struggle with heat? I have a first gen Razer Blade floating around. It was decently specced for the time (early 2012) but the thing got like a furnace if you ran anything remotely graphics intensive on it (used to play a bit of Star Wars: The Old Republic on it, and started my Atomic career on Codies F1).

G

I can't comment on behalf of all notebooks, but I've been running this one nearly 2 years without any issues. The thing is chunky and has lots of heatsinks and pipes as well as fans.

Ben Mansill