""

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Driver ID: #36
Car Number: #177
Achievements:

At long last the new Age of Wonders game is here. I'm still finding it a little weird that it's sci-fi rather than fantasy, but that hasn't made it less fun. I've decided to keep a play diary to try and help me remember what the heck is going on later in the game - it's a lot harder to keep track of when your play time is limited and sporadic - and have put it here on the off chance someone finds it amusing.

And hey, because it's a sci-fi game...

AGE OF WONDERS

EPISODE IV

PLANETFALL

It has been a thousand years since the collapse of the STAR UNION. Prior to the cataclysm, VANGUARD expeditionary forces led the Union's march into new and uncharted systems.

At the remote system designated FRONTIER-50, VANGUARD CELESTIAL forces have awakened from centuries of cryo-sleep to find their empire shattered. Under the leadership of Commander ROGUE ECLIPSE, the ATOMIC DIVISION lands on an untamed planet to begin rebuilding what was lost.

Although Frontier-50 is untamed, it is certainly not uninhabited. Atomic Division will need to establish a firm foothold before engaging the other powers seeking dominance over the planet...

G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Commander's Journal, Rogue Eclipse of the Vanguard Expeditionary Force -Atomic Division

Day 1: Planetfall

We've arrived. The division has established an operating base in an area they've nicknamed the Ironbark Hills. We're bounded on the west by a large body of water, to the east by an impassable mountain range. North and south of us is a verdant fungal forest. Sensors indicate an abandoned bio-dome to the south, possibly overrun by local fauna, and that seems a likely first objective. Scouts have been deployed north and south along the coastline in an effort to map out the land mass.

Day 2: Battle at the Biodome

A brief and successful skirmish at the biodome yielded food resources for the colony. We've also commenced annexation of the land to the south, all the way to the coastline. Scouts have picked up some old Imperial supplies to the west of the dome, though we may have some marauder scum to clear out to claim it.

Day 3: Diplomacy Glen secured

The marauders put up little resistance and we were able to salvage enough supplies to build some basic military infrastructure - assault bikes will make an excellent addition to our arsenal. Scouts report a settlement of some kind to the northeast, beyond what the boys are calling the Forest of Liberty. We hope to establish contact soon.

Day 4: Dorwar

The small outpost of Dorwar appears to be inhabited by fellow Vanguard. Although they have been unwilling to engage us thus far, I hope to bring them under my command. We appear to be situated in the southwest corner of this continent. With our food supplies well established, it's time to start exploring the interior.

G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:27 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

I was tempted by this game.
Time and other games on my growing list of yet to play games stopped me jumping on this.

Looking forward to reading more of the exploits of Atomic Division! 8-)

I wouldn't have given it a second look if it was fantasy.

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

I'm enjoying it so far. The sector system is a nice upgrade over the way cities used to just grow in AoW3. The hero stuff works in much the same way and the combat is familiar, although a little more range focused that it used to be. Choosing your race and then secret tech gives it good replayability too - similar to how you used to be able to choose starting skills for your hero but on a race wide level. Both the strategic and tactical layers are full of interesting choices. It's certainly not a paradigm shift from AoW3, but a solid iteration on the formula.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 5: Scouting about

The southern coast stretches far to the east, and scouts have detected a number of points of interest offshore. There are some scattered signs of previous habitation, but for now, the Dorwar Vanguard appear to be the extent of our neighbours. Similarly, the western coast continues north. Scouts report signs of another land mass to the west. I have kept them on mission – best we learn the extent of our current surroundings before we go too far afield.

Day 6: First Contact

We received a strange transmission through one of our scouts from a group of beings we’ve dubbed the Psi-Fish. They claim to be from another plane of existence and have sought our assistance to deal with a physical threat. They are being pursued by Paragons, corrupted remnants of the Star Union. It is our duty to destroy these abominations. We have established covert monitoring stations to the north, in the Mask Mountains – close to the Dorwar border, and to the southeast in the Forest of Liberty to monitor the land based approaches.

Day 7: Casualties

We rousted the Paragon forces in the Forest of Liberty, but at significant cost - two platoons of troopers were lost. I only hope the Psi-Fish prove to be worth it. We have established a forward outpost in the northern Forest of Liberty as a buffer between Dorwar and Ironbark Hills. This continent is proving to be a major land mass.

Day 8: Regrouping

Assault bikes have started rolling off the assembly lines and will make a valuable addition to our force structure. I’ve reinforced my company at Ironbark Hills and intend to clear out some hostile local wildlife. The Psi-Fish appear to have settlements at a lake north of Dorwar and in the sea far to the north west of Ironbark.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 9: More strange life forms

Our scouts have now also made contact with a plant-based species calling itself the Growth. An apparent hivemind entity that is seeking a mutually beneficial association with us. It offers us resources in exchange for eliminating a cult of ‘vegetarians’ that have been preying upon it. Despite some laughter from the ranks, I think it is worth maintaining a positive relationship with the Growth given the extent of vegetation in our immediate area.

Day 10: New faces

As we prepare to roll out against the Vegetarians, a trooper has been promoted based on her outstanding close combat abilities. We will need to keep her Promethean tendencies quiet from the Growth. Scouts have also made contact with the Amazons, who seem interested in a peaceful relationship for now. We have also completed annexation of the northern Forest of Liberty. I remain hopeful we can bring Dorwar under our wing.

Day 11: Psi-Fish Food

The enigmatic Psi-Fish have approached us to assist with the physical requirements of securing a food source. We are to build containers for food storage. I couldn’t bring myself to ask them what they actually eat… One of our scouts is mapping the extent of Amazonian dominion, located on the northern shore of this continent, a substantial journey to the northeast of Ironbark Hills. Our preparations are complete for Operation: Try-a-steak and we will confront the Cult of Salad imminently.

Day 12: Vale Vegos

We have exchanged kind words with the Amazons, but their leader Kelshana would not agree to a non-aggression pact so early in our relationship. Operation: Hot Beef Injection proved costly in multiple ways. Turns out I promoted Olivia to early. She rushed headlong into the fray and was mercilessly cut down by Kir’Ko Vegetarians. Further compounding the loss, the Psi-Fish immediately protested our assistance to the Growth. We will need to carefully balance our interactions to avoid alienating either side. The last thing I want is to be sucked into their ongoing enmity.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 pm 
Giuseppe Farina

Car Number: #7
Achievements:

rogue eclipse wrote:
Operation: Hot Beef Injection proved costly in multiple ways. Turns out I promoted Olivia to early. She rushed headlong into the fray and was mercilessly cut down by Kir’Ko Vegetarians

hahahah so funny.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

That'll teach me not to check the movement ranges of my opponent before committing...

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 13: Size does matter

The Amazonians have expanded further than I first thought, and I am now worried that we lag behind them. Whilst they have been pleasant to us thus far, if they feel they have the upper hand I am sure their demeanour will change. I am securing our northern border by establishing forward outposts in the Fossil Highlands and the Forest of the Lady. It’s clear we will need to expand soon in order to keep our production capabilities in line with potential opponents. I also need to build influence to encourage the Dorwar to join us.

Day 14: Chrysalis

The Psi-Fish appear to have gotten over their huff following our elimination of the Vegetarians and in gratitude for providing them with storage containers, have sent us a platoon of Chrysalis (Chrysalises? Chrysalids?). Hopefully they will integrate well with our troops. They have also offered us a trading relationship, which may prove useful in augmenting our weaponry. The Amazons are aware of our interactions and have warned against trusting the Psi-Fish. We refused the latest request from the Growth (this time to cull some unruly predators) who complained that we had assisted the Psi-Fish. There may be no way to keep everyone happy.

Day 15: Decision time for Dorwar

As our research into the Mysteries of the Celestial continue, it is clear to me that we must bring the light to our Vanguard kin. With the Amazons expanding towards our northeastern frontier, it is time for Dorwar to comply or be pacified. The Growth and Psi-Fish both have multiple dwellings across the continent and we will need to be well positioned for when hostilities break out.

Day 16: Dvar discovered

Our scouts have discovered the Dvar, an unfriendly race of dwarves located far to our east. Although I am beginning to think this may be some kind of Pangaea world, and they may be closer to our western frontier than I am comfortable with. We are assisting the Psi-Fish to enter a Chryslid state. They have assured me they are not evil, simply different due to their extraplanar origin.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 17: Into the fold

Our brethren in Dorwar have seen the light and joined us. This will enable us to both meet the production requests of the Psi-Fish whilst bolstering our own forces. I am convinced that hostilities with the Growth are imminent, not least because they have established presences too close to our border for my liking.

Day 18: Clean out

A brief skirmish with some local wildlife in the northern Forest of Liberty was a useful opportunity to test out our Chrysalis unit. It performed well, and I suspect will be a useful ace in the hole when we confront more conventional forces.

Day 19: Something’s up

Two of our covert outposts were destroyed overnight. If they had been our stations monitoring the Amazons, I’d be less concerned. However, these were right on our doorstep – in the Fossil Highlands and the southern Forest of Liberty. What’s worse – I have no idea who or by what means they have achieved this.

Day 20: Introduction to Nikolai

The Amazonian leader, Kelshana, has introduced me to another Dvar faction, this one led by Nikolai Gorodin. She has also shared intel on the dwarves – they are Psynumbra. I am uncertain of Kelshana’s motives in arranging this introduction. Is she aware of my own Celestial alignment? And if so, has she introduced me to Nikolai in the hope we will soon be at each others’ throats? In other news, our peace with the Psi-Fish remains steady and they have sent more Chrysalis to bolster our forces. Our science team have been hard at work and will soon provide us with aerial capability.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:37 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

rogue eclipse wrote:
Day 19: Something’s up

Two of our covert outposts were destroyed overnight. If they had been our stations monitoring the Amazons, I’d be less concerned. However, these were right on our doorstep – in the Fossil Highlands and the southern Forest of Liberty. What’s worse – I have no idea who or by what means they have achieved this.

Mysteriously troubling...

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:09 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 21: War!

After becoming increasingly agitated by our ongoing assistance to the Psi-Fish, the Growth began making demands for tribute to ‘maintain symbiosis’. When I politely declined, it rather unreasonably declared war on us. Very well, weed, it is time you were pulled from the garden. To ensure others don’t attempt to take advantage of our imminent commitment, I have signed a non-aggression pact with Kelshana. Perhaps the Psi-Fish can be enlisted to provide more direct assistance against the Growth...

Day 22: The plot thickens

Much has become clearer today – Kelshana has gone to war with Nikolai. I suspect it will only be a matter of time before she seeks our assistance. We still haven’t even located Nikolai’s position, and I am not sure what has sparked the conflict, but it seems clear she introduced us so that she would have a potential ally. We have established covert outposts to the west closer to the Growth’s mothernode – the Domain of Ten Tac. We have now annexed the Fossil Highlands for Ironbark Hills and expect Dorwar will be able to annex a new sector shortly. Our forces are redeploying to our western frontier to position for an invasion of Growth territory.

Day 23: Hostility spreads

Marauders have openly attacked Korvin’s Dvar in an attempt to seize territory. The Dvar were able to hold their ground, but such aggression from scavengers is indicative of the weak state of Korvin’s forces. Scouting indicates a substantial territory controlled by Korvin, perhaps he has spread himself too thin? Our study of the Celestial has yielded further positive results and we have begun to deploy Light Bringers. I have high hopes they will help us burn the Growth infestation from Frontier-50.

Day 24: Defensive Pact signed
A potentially momentous day for our colonies – we have signed a defensive pact with the Amazons. Whilst this does not entirely secure our northern border, it gives me a great deal of confidence that I can throw the bulk of my forces at the Growth – starting with its presence in the Plunging Rocklines to the northwest of Ironbark. Frustratingly, I have been unable to secure the services of another hero due to a lack of energy. I can only hope he will remain patient.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:51 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 25: The calm before the storm

Korvar has gone on the offensive against the marauders, our scout’s report suggests his forces rival our own and may be more experienced. The bold Dvar thought to threaten me with war, but I have turned aside his misplaced enthusiasm for battle with some kind words. I believe Nikolai is located to the north of Korvin’s holdings. The trek through the Fossil Highlands is taking longer than I had hoped, but soon the Growth will get what’s coming to it.

Day 26: Pruning commenced; Dvar everywhere

Our first battle against the Growth was an overwhelming victory. Perhaps the hivemind will reconsider its rash decision to make enemies of the Vanguard. Or perhaps not. The Psi-Fish have requested I deal with a pirate base that has been harassing their dwelling at Renouncer Lair. It’s a distraction from the Growth, but an important issue to deal with nonetheless. The hero was persistent, and the amusingly named Jonathan Vegas has been promoted. He will lead the light bringers and chrysalis against the pirates. Our scouts met yet another Dvar faction, this one led by Yuriy Frankov. Yuriy is at war with Korvin. We have started our relationship on a positive note.

Day 27: The continent wasn’t as empty as we thought…

Korvin is stretching westward at an alarming rate, it’s not hard to see why he is in open conflict with Yuriy, who lies between us. Nikolai has thrown insults at me. I can ignore the stunted little windbag to a point. Eventually I will need to scourge his Psynumbra filth from the planet, but I don’t understand why he would openly provoke me when he is already at war with Kelshana.

Day 28: War of words

Kelshana offers further praise for the Vanguard, but is not yet ready to commit to an alliance. Nikolai spits bile about both Kelshana and myself. Words are cheap little one, I know you dare not move openly against me yet. My forces are converging on the pirate base, I hope to cleanse it in the coming days.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 29: Defensive action

Local marauders have attempted to seize territory in the Turican Highlands in the northwest, where the holy site of the Veil of Tranquility lies. An additional incursion occurred at the Mastiff Marsh east of Dorwar. Both were seen off with minimal difficulty.

Day 30: The Growth pushes back

Growth forces have struck, eliminating a scout that crept too close. Sensors indicate it is beginning to martial its own forces for our conflict. I will need to deal with the pirates quickly so that I don’t get caught out. We have exchanged sensor data with Kelshana, but she remains reluctant to agree to an alliance. We continue to improve our relationship with the Psi-Fish, I believe they will join with us if we maintain our current trajectory.

Day 31: End of the month and things are getting busy…

Nikael has finally declared war on the Vanguard. I don’t want to say it’s because I have been getting his name wrong all this time (Nikael/Nikolai… whatever) but I am sure that didn’t help given his prickly disposition. He is in no position to prosecute hostilities against me. Korvin has opened up yet another war, this time with Kelshana. It is clear it will be up to the Vanguard to institute peace on this world. We will bring the light.

Day 32: The Vanguard Airforce

We have commenced gunship construction at Ironbark Hills. The airforce will give us the reach to begin striking at Growth strongholds. The Pirates of the Brackish Brambles are almost within my grasp. Vegas will remove their stain from the land.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 33: East vs West?

Nikael and Korvin have signed a non-aggression pact. The Dvar control the eastern coast of the continent between them. There is a long way to go before they form a single bloc, but it might be the end state of the current geostrategic picture. Vegas is camped by the river from the Psi-Fish lake, tomorrow, he begins his assault on the pirate stronghold.

Day 34: Assault on the pirate stronghold

Kelshana has declared war on Yuriy, pitting the Amazons against all of the Dvar. We have agreed to open borders to one another, I feel like she will have little option but to agree to an alliance in the near future. Vegas led a daring assault on the pirates at the Brackish Brambles. Tragically, two platoons of light bringers were lost during the cleansing. Vegas has since taken to calling himself ‘The House’ and loudly declaring that ‘The House always wins’.

Day 35: Maneouvering

The House is returning his company to Dorwar for reinforcement, whilst I hold my own at Ironbark Hills awaiting naval transportation. Kelshana appears to be moving forces towards my northern border, and I begin to wonder whether I have been taken advantage of…

Day 36: All quiet on Frontier-50.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 37: The Assembly

Korvin offered to broker an introduction to the Assembly commander he had discovered. I took the deal in the hope that another faction might be more amenable to forging peace on this world. Our initial conversation has not filled me with hope. The Assembly are an abomination, and I fear yet another cleansing will be needed.

Day 38: Positive noises from the Dvar

Yuriy has demonstrated positive intent towards us, and I begin to hope that not all of the Dvar are noxious little windbags. Kelshana continues to train up her armies by suppressing marauders. I think infighting amongst the Dvar has allowed the Amazons to build up a sizeable fighting force. Our relationship remains strong.

Day 39: Training

The House is undertaking training operations by clearing out local marauders. It is low risk, low reward work, but it will be worth it when the real fighting starts. Our airforce is due to commence operations against the Growth within the week.

Day 40: All quiet on Frontier-50.

G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 41: Cyborg Sandwich

The Assembly appear to be caught between Nikael to the north and Korvin to the south, an unenviable position to be sure. Perhaps the Dvar will save me the trouble of dealing with them. The House continues training operations in earnest in the vicinity of Dorwar. The Great Crusade to cleanse the Growth has launched from Ironbark Hills.

Day 42: New colony established

We have established a new colony at the Plunging Rocklines named Lansdal. It will be a key location for prosecuting the war against the Growth. Our forces are close to Ten Tac’s Dwelling, soon the battle will be joined.

Day 43: The deep breath before the plunge

My company is in place to assault Growth forces in the Water Ditch District, west of Ironbark, with a light company of troopers and the 1st air wing in support. Hostilities continue between Nikael and Azer, with the Dvar getting the better of the Assembly for now. Kelshana has gone quiet. Perhaps too quiet?

Day 44: G day - 1

In order to focus on the coming battle with the Growth, I reached a peace agreement with Korvin and have now signed a non aggression pact. Yuriy and Nikael have also signed a non aggression pact. We have established a beachhead on the Growth’s island, south of Slithering Growth Node. That will be our next target before we lay siege to Ten tac’s Dwelling.

G

Last edited by rogue eclipse on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:34 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

Just a beer with The House, He's looking mean feel sorry for that Growth scum... 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:36 am 
Jochen Rindt
Achievements:

rogue eclipse wrote:
Nikael has finally declared war on the Vanguard. I don’t want to say it’s because I have been getting his name wrong all this time (Nikael/Nikolai… whatever) but I am sure that didn’t help given his prickly disposition.

I noticed this before :lol:

Start calling him Nikolai again if you want to make enemies with him :P Taunt him with it hehe

Good luck on the Growth purge :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:31 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Achievements:

Day 45: Weed whackin’

We’ve achieved our first major success against the Growth, destroying their stronghold at Slithering Growth Node. I had anticipated stronger resistance, but at the sight of our advance their forces split and most melted away into the undergrowth.

Day 46: Assembly aggro

Azer has declared me the most despicable commander on Frontier-50 and considers this a sufficient casus belli to go to war with the Vanguard. I would have thought he was too fighting with Nikael and Korvin to give much thought to me. His time will come.

Day 47: Beachhead established

Slithering Growth Node has become a forward outpost to anchor our position on the island. Foolishly, the Growth has gone on the offensive against Kelshana in the north.

Day 48: Minor scuffles

Some minor action today against marauders who weren’t smart enough to vacate the front line. It’s frustrating as I’d rather not risk my troops dealing with them so close to Ten Tac’s dwelling. With the forward base established, we need to consolidate prior to pushing on – scouts suggest Growth Forces may be stronger than originally anticipated.

G