It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Hi Gents.

So I was thinking using the dedicated server would be better than P2P, particularly for those guys that normally have worse pings. Unfortunately that was not the case for me. It was fine in testing, but on the night had issues with ghosting, flickering and a couple of intances of with false yellow flags and ghosted cars in Race. The DS probably just needs a restart, but without login/ access details that's impossible.

How did it work for everyone else? I'm currently thinking of going back to P2P unless the rest of you had a markedly better experience. Or maybe try and set up another DS for us so we can get Simresults going again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 pm 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

Personally no issues from me.

Some flickering from two cars in the pits/pitlane entry, at the end of race 2, but i think they were ghosted cars due to disconnections/etc?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

It was all good for me, Whats stopping full access to restart the server etc?

Just looking at the cost of a dedicated AU server and If there is a reason we have lost full control of the existing one a new one is definitely a possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Online Achievements:

Good for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:
Whats stopping full access to restart the server etc?

I think this might be a personal server Velo set up and doesn't look like anyone else has the details.

I've had a bit of a play with these guys. https://www.elitegameservers.net Might see if we can hijack one of their demo servers for this week's bye/fun races. If it works well I might sign us up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
VikRacer wrote:
Whats stopping full access to restart the server etc?

I think this might be a personal server Velo set up and doesn't look like anyone else has the details.

I've had a bit of a play with these guys. https://www.elitegameservers.net Might see if we can hijack one of their demo servers for this week's bye/fun races. If it works well I might sign us up.

yeah that's the one sounds good mate 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

I didn't realise we were using the dedicated server. From my perspective (Perth) it was worse - instead of a couple of pings in the red it was most of the field. I had assumed some of the choppy performance was the track we were on, but perhaps it was change of server? If it's a personal server on a residential connection then we want whoever has the fattest pipe and no family to watch netflix!

The benefits of a dedicated server are pretty good though - we could jump online mid-week and practice for the race ahead and see some of the familiar faces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

Im sitting on a 100/40 in syd with ftth so can host if needed but i think Veedub's suggestion to try these elite servers is the go. Dedicated server in a data exchange would have to be our best solution.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

captainleather wrote:
From my perspective (Perth)...

Hey, didn't know you were in perth too, cool. I did notice the same, however didn't notice it having any effects on the racing.

Where's the dedicated server hosted? Maybe that's part of the issue?

I'd argue a server hosted in melbourne would be the best compromise for all (if no one is happy, it's a good compromise, right?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:12 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

Chigerama wrote:
Hey, didn't know you were in perth too, cool.

I feel if anything the race times are actually more convenient for us!

Yeah on-track performance didn't seem too bad. I didn't see cars glitching and warping around. But the ping indicators were certainly more in the red than usual.

I did feel the game was choppy and a bit framey last race in a way it wasn't in the previous weeks.. I had put that down to it being a different perhaps less efficiently modelled track. But who knows? Too many variables!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Can I get some details of this? As in the past we had dedicated server hosting for AC and I sorry just assumed that's what we always ran for PC2.

Who currently owns/maintains/controls the dedicated host? Where is it? Is it through a provider?

Personally I have no experience/history but I couldn't say I encountered any problems even with my concerns on my wireless connection.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

I'm afraid I dont have any details. What I've been able to piece together from various threads is we used to run a hosted solution with GTX UK. In early 2019 Velo moved this to a private server and I think we dropped the GTX subscription. I've not been able to find any detail on the private server & no one seems to know anything about it, so think this may have been Velo's personal server.

It's still running, so we can use it, but in terms of access/admin/management this was with Velo so we're stuck until he surfaces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

Does anyone remember what the performance was like when it was hosted with GTX?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

I would strongly suggest since we've been unable to get hold of Velo that we explore hosting again. Mostly for the reporting and control.

Streamline servers don't do PC2 like they did for AC, but the other people I've used in the past Elite Game Servers have dedicated options for PC2 in Sydney datacentres.

GTX UK is ok, but they are actually more expensive for PC2 than EGS.

Problem is that they both charge in Euro and even the cheapest is about ~$20 a month for a 16 slot host.

My suggestion is we can go ahead and provision, even for a single month to trial and test performance.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:04 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
so think this may have been Velo's personal server.

It's still running

So weird. It's like aliens just kidnapped him :?

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 pm 
Takuma Sato
Achievements:

I'd love to be able to host it myself in our DC at work... But it would mean everyone connecting to perth, even if we have stupid fast links, the latency of everyone (except myself and Cap-leather) would be around 50-70ms i'd guess. Not sure what you're running over east at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
I would strongly suggest since we've been unable to get hold of Velo that we explore hosting again. Mostly for the reporting and control.

Streamline servers don't do PC2 like they did for AC, but the other people I've used in the past Elite Game Servers have dedicated options for PC2 in Sydney datacentres.

GTX UK is ok, but they are actually more expensive for PC2 than EGS.

Problem is that they both charge in Euro and even the cheapest is about ~$20 a month for a 16 slot host.

My suggestion is we can go ahead and provision, even for a single month to trial and test performance.

i'm going to get one of those elite ones to check it out and see if it works for everyone, I want to have a look what options they give you and stuff anyway. ill call it:

Atomic Sim Racing #2
Password: asrpc2

How many spots is enough do you guys think :?:

i'm going to play some hell let loose with the boys first though and then stuff around with it later.. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

Looking at the results so far this season we've had 16 different drivers compete and 14 was the most in any one race.

On a side note - how great is it having nice full grids!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

There should be one there now called "Atomic Sim Racing #2 Test Server" but nothing has come up yet.. i've opened a ticket with them to check it etc hopefully its up by tomorrow night and people might be able to jump in and out sometime between now and sunday if they get a chance to check their pings etc. once it comes up i'll make Veedub and Lambo admins so they can restart it and all that jazz. Other than that it should work the same as the other one with better ping hopefully or ill just flick it before the second month or change it to an assetto server or something. For 20 bucks it was worth checking the latency for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Sounds good. If it's sorted by the weekend I'll play aground with it be bit to see if we can get LUA and simresults working. We can then use it for the weekends Bye/Fun race and confirm everything works before next championship round.

Thanks Vik.