""

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 am 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

So I have a weird problem. I have a Samsung 4K display that I have mounted to a VESA monitor mount for my laptop/monitor configuration.

Because of the location of where that VESA mount is (right at the top of the screen), I have to mount my monitor upside down, otherwise I limit my orientation options. No big deal, I simply rotate the display to be Landscape flipped (so it's all normal) in the control panel.

The problem I've discovered is that if I run this configuration, any game that doesn't run native 4K resolution, will not scale to full screen. It will run in the corner at the said resolution like it's a window.

If I rotate the display back to normal landscape, the issue goes away and I can full screen 1080P no problem.

Project Cars for example wouldn't full screen so I was forced to run 4K, which this thing can handle but for other games, I prefer to run certain resolutions.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem? It's a GTX 1070 for those that need to know.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 pm 
Alberto Ascari
Driver ID: #12
Car Number: #666
Online Achievements:

How strange.

Has it got controls within the monitor itself for orientation? I see you've set it in Win control panel, maybe also try the hotkeys for rotation, see if that changes anything: CTL + ALT + up arrow or down arrow. So - turn off rotation in Win control panel, start up as usual and try hotkeys - or - start up as normal with the display upside down, start the game in 1080 (also while upside down) then try and rotate once its started via kotkeys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

I don't think so but I'll triple check when I get home.

Speaking to one of the M/S engineers here, he says he thinks it's Windows itself causing the problem. Says the scaling support in Windows is likely the culprit.

I'll do some more digging however on your suggestion.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

This is a tough one mate, I wish I had something to add here that might help but I would be talking shit. I hope you get it resolved it was good to see the Bossman out on track with us. Best place to collect stats is on track :mrgreen:

If I had to suggest one solution that would sort your problem out I would link you to some sort of current good deal on a VR headset, As a simracer I would sell my Grandma to get one now that I have tried it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:
This is a tough one mate, I wish I had something to add here that might help but I would be talking shit. I hope you get it resolved it was good to see the Bossman out on track with us. Best place to collect stats is on track :mrgreen:

If I had to suggest one solution that would sort your problem out I would link you to some sort of current good deal on a VR headset, As a simracer I would sell my Grandma to get one now that I have tried it. :twisted:

I have a VIVE and a VIVE Pro. Had one since day one launch, our company distribute them so I have no shortage of access to VR and accessories.

Unfortunately sim racing and VR are a bit difficult for me. While I'm perfectly fine in other VR applications, racing has tended to result in nausea. I'm slowly training myself to get used to it in sim racing, but I'm not quite ready to go %100 yet.

Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
VikRacer wrote:

I have a VIVE and a VIVE Pro. Had one since day one launch, our company distribute them so I have no shortage of access to VR and accessories.

Unfortunately sim racing and VR are a bit difficult for me. While I'm perfectly fine in other VR applications, racing has tended to result in nausea. I'm slowly training myself to get used to it in sim racing, but I'm not quite ready to go %100 yet.

oh man that's rough! it's not something related to settings or something is it? as in your getting good fps and stuff like that? IPD set right etc

I hope its something you get through man I reckon you will be seconds faster than yourself on that TV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

OK problem has been solved. Just like my friend thought, it's a bug in Windows.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/quick-s ... 6198.shtml

While I don't have this build version deployed, the solution was identical. I had to turn off full screen optimisations under compatibility for those applications.

Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 am 
Jenson Button
Driver ID: #72
Car Number: #77
Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
VikRacer wrote:

Have you tried racing in helmet cam, I find that view greatly reduced the nausea until you get your sea legs. Also make sure that you lock the camera to horizon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm 
Site Admin
Achievements:

mrtran77 wrote:
Lambo wrote:
VikRacer wrote:

Have you tried racing in helmet cam, I find that view greatly reduced the nausea until you get your sea legs. Also make sure that you lock the camera to horizon.

Yes, but I'll look into the other options you mentioned.

Ben Mansill