All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VR Companion Apps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 am 
Jacky Ickx
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

Hey Fella's,

I'm a VR noob and I was wondering whether anyone has experience with any apps that allow you to look at desktop windows while your headset is still on? What i'm trying to do is throw in the discord window on Sunday nights as an overlay sort of thing so that I can see the names of people talking while still racing etc.. I wouldn't mind putting names to voices (this way i'll know who to apologize to when i'm flying off the track at Oulton Park on the weekend :roll: )

I looked up a couple of videos on YouTube and there are some available but they are older videos and I wondered what the best method to use might be with minimal impact on performance etc...

If there are any other apps that you find yourself using while in VR (aside from Occulus Tray Tool) i'd be happy to hear about those too :?:

Post subject: Re: VR Companion Apps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:37 am 
Gilles Villeneuve

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:
I'm a VR noob and I was wondering whether anyone has experience with any apps that allow you to look at desktop windows while your headset is still on? What i'm trying to do is throw in the discord window on Sunday nights as an overlay sort of thing so that I can see the names of people talking while still racing etc.. I wouldn't mind putting names to voices (this way i'll know who to apologize to when i'm flying off the track at Oulton Park on the weekend :roll: )

That would depend if Discord's inbuilt voice chat overlay is supported in VR. Works on single screen, dunno about VR. Fiddle around with the settings and see what you get. See attached images for setting locations and an example:
When someone speaks their icon will flash up and be more obvious. Again I know it works on single monitor, dunno about VR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:50 am 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Been looking at this myself for a while now. The discord overlay doesn't work in VR and I've not found a proper way to get this working.

So far I've managed to get individual windows (e.g. the discord window) to be pinned in my VR space using the new experimental oculus feature. I believe there is also a third party app that works with steam VR that will allow you to do the same.

Next problem is the voice panel only represents such a small portion (30%) of the discord window. So I have to have the window sized to be about the same size and distance as a monitor in game to be able to see who's taking. Much too distracting. If I resize the window to something reasonable in game (e.g equivalent of in dash display) the voice panel is too small to see anything.

I need a way to change the discord window layout to just show the voice panel, or resize it to be much larger, and then we'd be in business.

No amount of googling has uncovered a way of doing this yet though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:38 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

Yep the size of the window was the reason i did not try a program last night.. i thought that may be the problem.

So now we share this problem and can solve together :)

I guess the first dodgy fix that comes to mind is some sort of window snipping program that could single out that part of the screen with names and display that as its own window source or something along those lines the same way you can add a source in OBS . Further amounts of googling required. :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:47 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Indeed, two heads are always better than one. :)

Interesting idea on the snipper/magnifier app. That might have some legs. Time for some research.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

So managed to get this to work, but not sure about performance.

Found a way to adjust discord to disable min size. (See step 4 on linkhttps://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/154198-give-discord-a-minimal-look-and-remove-minimum-window-size

So can now resize discord so only voice panel is visible, and using pin window feature in oculus can resize it and place it somewhere (e.g. just under steering wheel) in vr view and easily monitor discord in game.

But unfortunately performance may be iffy. In general it's fine, but had some intermittent stuttering on some of my testing. (Other times it was Ok). Will have to do some more diag to figure out if this was the culprit or if it's something else.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:07 pm 
Jacky Ickx
Achievements:

Sounds like the go, I wont be able to fit it in tonight but will have a look during the week :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:35 am 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

Back to the drawing board. Ran the "pinned" window in last week's bye round and it worked really well, until it caused a massive BSOD.

Gave me a hell of a fright too. I was mid corner turning left (Indy) pushing the wheel left against FFB pushing right. Next instant it's all black in VR, loud high pitched screeching sound in headphones and FFB on wheel reversed and turning to left full strength. It twisted my arms around pretty heavily and tweaked couple of muscles in my forearms. No lasting harm done, but if I was using a DD wheel it could have been painful. I now understand why the have cutout and low torque switches. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:48 am 
Takuma Sato
Driver ID: #6
Car Number: #38
Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
I now understand why the have cutout and low torque switches. :shock:

I've learnt pretty quickly to do as the real life drivers do - if I'm going by to have a BIG off, let go of the wheel just before impact. I run about 50% force on my DD1.