Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beginner tips for Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:52 am 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Currently doing iRacing for the first time, I have so far been rotating between the two Mazda series, I am about 2 seconds off the best drivers right now in the races I have done, sometimes my times qualify mid-pack sometimes towards the back of the grid.

What is the best way to boost my rating? I am down to 2.1 and I probably have a 50% completion rate as I get the black flag for 17 point infractions so the first thing would be to stay on the track which is obvious, but apart from that do I just try and get consistent laps going and not worry about overtaking?

I notice a lot of drivers are slow early on and I always go for a pass but as you know these cars lack power and the tracks are pretty fluid so its quite hard to pass without significant drive advantage coming out of corners, which is usually what leads to me trying to go too hard out of a corner or deep into a corner and go off track.

Other than that I usually have at least one big crash every other race that requires lots of repair time, however, many people quit races so I end up getting a decent result.

The only other series I have been trying to race is the Dirt one where you get to drive the VW Beatle (free) however, every single time I try and join a race there I get an error message even selecting the free vehicle and the series using the free tracks.

Still figuring out my exact setup as far as gear and rig is, so I am just playing around on my g920 on my brothers iRacing account, but once I get fully setup and out of rookie I plan on starting my own account and investing the time and $$ into buying and progressing through the content.

Any tips or tricks etc are welcomed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:15 am 
Alex Yoong

Achievements:

Quickest way to boost your safety rating and get out of rookies is to start from pitlane, circulate at the back at a pace you're comfortable with and have zero incidents. 3 or 4 of these and you'll bump to D.

But I absolutely wouldn't recommend that. You'll get to D, but with limited race experience and faster, more difficult cars you'll just drop rating like crazy and bounce back to rookies.

Key is to find a way to race, but minimize incidents so you develop skills, progress and have fun.

Everyone has their own approach, here's what works for me:
1) Practice. If I cannot run a race simulation, at full race pace, with no more than 2 incidents I'm not ready to race.
2) The race starts in lap 3. Unless I'm at the front of the grid, I save my racing for lap 3. Everyone other than the guys right at the front is slower in lap one. I can ignore this and go banzai making up places, but this will just result in me crashing or one of the other banzai drivers taking me out.
3) Give the crazies space. If I see someone in my mirrors trying to divebomb every turn and make crazy moves, I just let them through. I'll get the spot back when they eventually crash out.
4) Race my pace. Once past lap 3, I just run my pace. I don't worry about the positions I've lost or gained on lap 1&2. If I lost places, but have pace on the guys I will get them back in the race. If I don't have pace on them I would have lost them in the race anyway.
5) Know your opponents & race accordingly. Rookies, low safety ratings and guys with banged up cars need double or triple the space, and anticipate that they may do something silly or lose control while battling. Higher rating drivers in clean cars can be raced a bit more closely. I check out the field before I race and take notes. E.g. the #1 car starting from the pits will come flying past, but should be clean. Memorize the 1.x rating drivers in the race and give them a wide bearth.
6) Pressure is two thirds of overtaking. If I'm struggling to get past crazy divebombs rarely work. But applying pressure lap after lap usually results in a mistake that gets me past cleanly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 pm 
Luca Badoer

Achievements:

Veedub wrote:
Key is to find a way to race, but minimize incidents so you develop skills, progress and have fun.

1) Practice. If I cannot run a race simulation, at full race pace, with no more than 2 incidents I'm not ready to race.
2) The race starts in lap 3. Unless I'm at the front of the grid, I save my racing for lap 3. Everyone other than the guys right at the front is slower in lap one. I can ignore this and go banzai making up places, but this will just result in me crashing or one of the other banzai drivers taking me out.
3) Give the crazies space. If I see someone in my mirrors trying to divebomb every turn and make crazy moves, I just let them through. I'll get the spot back when they eventually crash out.
4) Race my pace. Once past lap 3, I just run my pace. I don't worry about the positions I've lost or gained on lap 1&2. If I lost places, but have pace on the guys I will get them back in the race. If I don't have pace on them I would have lost them in the race anyway.
5) Know your opponents & race accordingly. Rookies, low safety ratings and guys with banged up cars need double or triple the space, and anticipate that they may do something silly or lose control while battling. Higher rating drivers in clean cars can be raced a bit more closely. I check out the field before I race and take notes. E.g. the #1 car starting from the pits will come flying past, but should be clean. Memorize the 1.x rating drivers in the race and give them a wide bearth.
6) Pressure is two thirds of overtaking. If I'm struggling to get past crazy divebombs rarely work. But applying pressure lap after lap usually results in a mistake that gets me past cleanly.

all great advice for developing better pace and consistency, 3 & 6 are especially good for overtaking and trying not to get taken out.

I take pride in being a half crazy only, usually when I take people out it's trying to pass someone far slower but more often than not I don't make contact and just take myself out.

I can count plenty of times I am in front of someone and suddenly I am either pushed or sideswiped off the road and can't make any sense of how they thought they were going to get past me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:22 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

Yeah, what Veebud said.

Without knowing how much racing you've done, it does make it a bit weird to give some tips.

But myself, been racing online for about 9 years now. but have been a lot less active the last 2 years. But I'm am not fast, not consistently at every track, could probably brand myself as one of the slowest guys here at ASR now days. But I have decent results at tracks i do really well at. But this isn't just me being good, but others maybe a bit weaker or having a poor race.

Anyway for me.

Ignore qualifying and fast lap times. Look at the average lap times. Doesn't matter if you can knock out the fastest lap just the once. But you fly off track every other laps. 2 seconds a lap faster in qualifying, but loosing a chunk of time going off track/offline will smash your average lap times. Which obviously the lower your average the better your result is going to be naturally.

Which brings me to. Work on consistency. Given this advice out a few times, and have been given it to me. As above.

More advice given to me when I was starting out, you don't make lap time in the braking zones. but you sure as hell can loose it, and you said this yourself, by out braking yourself and going off track.

Best bet is brake early, and find your limit if you find you have to let off the brake much earlier or you even has to accelerate into the corner as you've slowed too much. easier to learn by getting closer and closer to the limit rather than coming back from going over the limit.

Same goes for powering down out of a corner. slow and smooth, as Smooth is Fast. the less corrections you have to make, and this is with powering down and with the wheel work.

Drive to your own abilities and limits, and not think, "oh he can go 2 seconds a lap faster in the same car, i must be able to do the same" learn, than that may not be the case, in time you may get there. However, if you do get lapped, follow/watch them, mainly their racing lines and how much of track limits they use. And see if you can match.

As you've already noticed, people quit out. DO NOT DO THAT. it kills your Safety Rating and means you'll YoYo in you License/Class.

I was racing for a good 5 years before doing iRacing, so was able to get out of rookie in my first day after 4 races. Staying on track, and just getting away from the chaos that is the rookies. But this was after a fair bit of iRacing veterans given advice here at ASR.

So stay on the black stuff that's the easier way to maintain a good Safety Rating. And like i said, as Veedub said, don't race idiots who weave and look erratic behind you. As they will take you out, 4 incidents. and if you have to repair, just means less time on track and less joy.

Trying to pass, push for a mistake, and take the opportunities if they comes up for a pass. know where you're strong on a track, and equally, where you're weak. and read the driver you're racing for where they're weak and that's where you push them more.

if you haven't ready. MUTE EVERYONE. you don't need the noise in your ears when racing.

My 2 cents.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]