It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally - iRacing Win
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:12 pm 
Riccardo Patrese
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Ahhh. Finally, after two seasons of F3's, managed to get my first win on iRacing.

That feels good.

Started in 4th, but didn't like the look of the field so backed off and let everyone past. Running dead last before Turn 1. But F3 is nothing if not reliably chaotic. And sure enough - chaos in turn 1 drops out 4 contenders and by the end of lap 1 I'm running seventh.

From there I set about working my way through the pack and after a few laps I'm 2nd, but running 10 seconds behind first.

I start to reel the leader in by about .5 seconds per lap. After 3 laps he makes a mistake and I'm suddenly 1 second behind him. I apply a what I refer to as the "Velo" manoeuvre. I.e. sitting right on the tail of the person in front of you, constantly filling up their mirrors and piling on the pressure, but not really trying to overtake. Sure enough 3 laps later he makes a mistake on the chicane and I get past easily.

But now he's on my tail and putting pressure on me. I can hear the Jaws theme as he looms in my mirrors. I mean I can literally hear the Jaws theme. The guy behind me is humming it to me over iRacing radio. :roll:

Theme or not, next couple of laps I slowly build up a 2 second gap. And then he makes a mistake and spins. Now I'm leading by 10 seconds with 8 laps to go. Easy - right? Wrong. With the pressure off all I can think is don't f#$# this up. Thinking is not racing though, and the next 10 laps rate as some of the worst, sloppiest laps I've ever turned. :?

But finally managed to cross the line first and that's all that matters.

First iRacing win. Man! - it feels good to get that monkey off my back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:13 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Nice one man, congratulations! :)

He was trying to psych you out with humming? That's a new one lol
Should've started singing back at him baby shark song :lol:

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:33 am 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Online Achievements:

Congrats man!

And I don't know nt have comms on in iRacing. Never have. I've had people flashing head lights behind me when racing. But humming the Jaws theme? Wtf? Had he just been concentrating more he may not had made the mistake.

Would of been annoying everyone else racing too. Reason why I mute all.

Great feeling to have a first win, specially when you played it very strategically and went to the back of the field. Congratulations Again man!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 am 
Riccardo Patrese
Achievements:

Thanks Erad.
Eradicator wrote:
Should've started singing back at him baby shark song :lol:

:D That would have been legendary, if somewhat confusing for the other guys in the race

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:40 am 
Riccardo Patrese
Achievements:

Thanks Pete.

Yeah - that felt good. I've been in a position to win before, but always threw it away one way or another. So to finally get it done - yeah, felt good.

The other guy was being a bit of an idiot. Cracking jokes and making comments throughout the race to try and distract people. I do normally have a mute button mapped to my wheel within easy access if chat goes off the rails - but upgraded to new wheelbase last week and turned out I hand't re-mapped the button. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:44 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr
Driver ID: #36
Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Nice job Veedub, took me ages to crack a win on there too.

G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:16 am 
Riccardo Patrese
Achievements:

Thanks Rogue. For me it was a long time coming indeed. 105 races before a win! And of those 55 on F3's, which I've taken pretty seriously, religiously practiced & poured over telemetry to improve.

Funny thing is... Won another one last night. So second win came 3 races after the first. Nurburgring GP must just be my lucky track