Atomic Sim Racing

Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am 
Alberto Ascari

Car Number: #666
Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
So hands up on those who are now not interested in the rest of the season and will only watch hoping Bottas beats Hamilton to the DWC.....

Nah there's still heaps to enjoy, mostly checking out all the rookies, and rookies that just got promoted. I can't remember the last time there were so many fresh young faces and every one of them is interesting. Who'd have thought Albon would be so good? Lando is fantastic to watch. Leclerc is 100% dynamite every time he's out there. Bonus - watching Seb get out-shone, too.

Ignore Merc and it's an absolutely fantastic season.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:10 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

*both hands raise high above my head*

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:59 pm 
Jochen Rindt

Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Flouncy wrote:
Ignore Merc and it's an absolutely fantastic season.

I'm with the Flouncmeister.
Still entertainment to be had.

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 pm 
Alberto Ascari

Achievements:

Lambo wrote:
So hands up on those who are now not interested in the rest of the season and will only watch hoping Bottas beats Hamilton to the DWC.....

petevo wrote:

Did you walk away from F1 and throw your hands in the air when Schumacher was dominating and miss seeing Hakkinen battle like a determined god?

Did you look the other way when young Kimi entered the scene and bedazzled as an electric rookie just because he didn't have a shot at the title?

Did you not take joy seeing Montoya muscle the field and Alesi flying the car like a Spitfire pilot who's life depended on victory?

Were you not filled with hope when Jenson appeared? Did you not take pleasure seeing Ralf Schumacher fail, repeatedly?

Did you not secretly wish Nick Heidfeld could grasp victory?

Was it not fascinating to see Jackie Stewart enter a team? Ford entering as Jaguar afterwards? Was that boring, too?

Was hoping Ayrton Senna would take it to Schumacher not even remotely interesting?

When Mark Webber driving a Minardi heroically took it home in 5th in Melbourne - was it not worth your time?

Did Fernando Alonso as a firestorm rookie not warrant your attention?

All of these things happened during the Schumacher period of dominance, or thereabouts, which mirrors the current Mercedes pwnage.

Yes, the pointy end of the grid is predictable, but the other 90% is thrilling and satisfying.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

petevo wrote:

Did you walk away from F1 and throw your hands in the air when Schumacher was dominating and miss seeing Hakkinen battle like a determined god?

Issue isn't JUST with Merc's dominance, won't take anything away from them and their success, it's the current spec cars with inability for cars to follow and then race/battle, your own comment said it all. "Hakkinen battle like a determined god?" THEY STILL RACES! one of my favourite all time passes in F1 was Schu vs Mika at Spa around either side of back marker. He may have dominated, but it wasn't the time gaps we see today.

Race this weekend was decided because of this:

Quote:
It was a 66-lap race, but pole man Valtteri Bottas' chance of winning was effectively over before turn one because of a clutch vibration off the start.

No doubt team orders came into play after this point, as Bottas said he could match Lewis's pace...... ok so why didn't you and mount a challenge?

Ferrari should be there, but trip over themselves, RBR aren't there, the rest of the field don't get enough pace, not even close, and the coverage isn't there LIVE, too much of is a reply of something, where as a viewer you're expecting something good.

Did you look the other way when young Kimi entered the scene and bedazzled as an electric rookie just because he didn't have a shot at the title?

Loved watching Charles doing what he could in what he had and what his doing now, liken to Kimi making the move to McLaren.

Did you not take joy seeing Montoya muscle the field and Alesi flying the car like a Spitfire pilot who's life depended on victory?

So loving F1's history isn't a good reason to be upset at the current status of F1??!? if anything THAT is the reason, where is the FIGHT??! Where is the PUSH, drivers are now all forced and mentally trained to save TYRES, save FUEL, save ENGINE, all this on top of all the various engine mode teams have them playing with to NOT race at 100%, is that really racing?

"Oh, i'm behind another car, i better go 4 or 5 seconds BEHIND them, to save my car and hope strategy brings me back, because I can't follow, let alone pass the car in front even with DRS and PUSH TO PASS"

Were you not filled with hope when Jenson appeared? Did you not take pleasure seeing Ralf Schumacher fail, repeatedly?

Take pleasure in someone's failure? no, Ralf is a good driver in his own right, just had the unfortunate factor of his very successful older brother, may or may not have even made it to F1 without that surname, let's see how much pretty his son has. always chatter right now about his "failures" in F2.

Did you not secretly wish Nick Heidfeld could grasp victory?

I have wish for lots of drivers to grasp victory, Hell love to see FERRARI with a race with Charles in it, but yet to see him come 2nd in 2019. i'll keep waiting and hoping.

Was it not fascinating to see Jackie Stewart enter a team? Ford entering as Jaguar afterwards? Was that boring, too?

When was the last time and independent team entered in F1? Force India maybe? Any with any sort of real success too, this again just argues to the current sad status of F1 where they failure to attract manufacturers due to the difficulty of entry and success, a "Mark Webber F1" team would never happen in this day and age with cost. right now i'm hoping we don't LOOSE teams, like WILLIAMS F1, as I doubt there are many, if anyone out there willing to join F1.

Was hoping Ayrton Senna would take it to Schumacher not even remotely interesting?

Sadly right before i got interesting in F1

When Mark Webber driving a Minardi heroically took it home in 5th in Melbourne - was it not worth your time?

SURE it did, but that was Webber's debut in Australia in a MINARDI, on a 3 race contract. where the car wouldn't start the following day , also, only EIGHT drivers finished the race out of 22. In current point system, you literally only need to finish the race to score points.

Did Fernando Alonso as a firestorm rookie not warrant your attention?

Not a fan of Lewis, but that was a hell of a year for F1, Max as biased as I am to Dan, was/is great to watch. Bit of a shining light, hate to say that, and this, but he is out driving the RBR car right now, like Alonso did at Ferrari and certain did at McLaren.

All of these things happened during the Schumacher period of dominance, or thereabouts, which mirrors the current Mercedes pwnage.

Yes, the pointy end of the grid is predictable, but the other 90% is thrilling and satisfying.

Everything said, has been about F1's past, i've pointed out some of the current great things we can mirror, but Ferrari dominance wasn't nearly has dramatic as it is in 2019 to date. 5 races and 5 x 1-2 finishes, where honestly, NO ONE got close touching them out front, own team mate included. get out of turn 1 first at Mercedes seems to be the determining factor to winning the race.

The rest of the field is a great battle, but SO much, TOO much of it, is playing follow the leader, DRS and saving up ERS isn't enough make passing happen, best we can hope for it some side by side racing for a few turns. you don't see a cat and mouse race like we use to, pressure on lap after lap after lap, with both drivers right on the edge of the car. THIS does not happen right now in F1. not even remotely close.

Undercut, or know you have a faster car and do better and faster laps when the car ahead pits and hope old vs new tyre laps is good enough to get you "past" the competitor.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096 ... re-visions

-----------

Knowing F1's history and the past, is exactly why so many are disappointed in F1 of 2019. The wheel to wheel racing, just isn't there. And that's disappointing.

I will continue to watch F1, not going to stop, but won't be holding my breath for battles worthy of the Schumacher/Ferrari dominance era racing.

Lead up to Monaco, and RBR are talking DOWN there own chances of winning this year. C'mon, way to sell the sport to the fans to tune to a race where there maybe more to watch than those in F1 Spec B with are 1+ seconds off the pace.

Disappointed, damn right I am.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm 
Alberto Ascari

Achievements:

Well. My whinging a few days ago about some lack of engagement here sure did come back and bite me in the arse with that response, Pete :)

Bravo. I've been properly told, and how.

Not gonna debate and counterpoint. You've made a great case for your feelings. Dig that. Power to you if you're not into this season or the current hobbling regs. I find joy in every season, especially so since the TV started actually showing the midfield a few years ago.

I like this season because there are no losers apart from Stroll, and I hate to say, Kubica now. Everything else is still fun. Oh and also Crofty, he shits me a lot. So does Chandok, also useless. But hey, what's sport if you can't hate shit and argue with someone who disagrees?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:22 pm 
ASR F1 Champion

Car Number: #22
Achievements:

I'm still watching every race and take the good with the bad.

The bad is Mercedes dominance and Renault's lack of form.
The good is McLaren's improvement and Leclerc giving it to Seb.

Monaco is next, my favourite of all races and one that I've never missed since following F1.
I'm hoping Leclerc can shine at home and get his first win.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:58 pm 
Dan Gurney

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

Some food for thought, particularly Barcelona as a race track in particular:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Car Number: #76
Achievements:

One of the greatest. RIP.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:38 pm 
Alberto Ascari

Achievements:

Indeed. RIP one of the all time greats, and a good bloke it seemed. F1 is poorer for his passing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:26 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

RIP Niki.

Thank You for everything you've done for the sport.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

R.I.P. Niki Lauda

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:34 pm 
Nelson Piquet Sr

Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Vale Niki.

Anyone else going to watch Rush on the weekend?

G

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 pm 
Phil Hill

Car Number: #94
Achievements:

Legit never cared about F1 prior to ASR. Pretty sure Mesa promptly told to like Daniel Ricciardo and go from there.

Started with watching Rush and following Niki's story then that was it. Interest in F1 secured.

Now I'm staying up late to catch the race, watching the latest paddock pass / driver interviews, and following all the twitters for the latest updates. Just recently binged the F1 series on Netflix with my gf and now she's relatively hooked (big fan of Daniel Ricciardo).

Anyway, Niki's story is truly inspirational. If you haven't already I'd suggest watching this playlist full of interviewing Niki not too long ago;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OyP3eL ... 0u048nfUY-

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 am 
Nelson Piquet Sr

Car Number: #177
Achievements:

Should also watch the Senna documentary - it's a bit harsh on Prost, but it's still a great film.

G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 pm 
Alex Yoong

Achievements:

Well done Dan! How sweet it must feel to see Red Bulls behind him on the qualy sheets after all the s%#@ given. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:43 am 
Jochen Rindt

Car Number: #11
Achievements:

Yeah. Well done Dan.
It's more luck though, Max messed up qualy then got unlucky with red flag. PLus Leclerc having a bad time.

I think he'll struggle to keep 4th imo. But we'll see! Renault apparently unclogged their development pipline and got many upgrades slapped on. Race will show how legit his 4th place is.

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:46 am 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

Who else is ready to give up on F1 after that race?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:45 pm 
Forum Admin

Car Number: #13
Achievements:

That decision - I can’t even

I saw you driving my old car around Brands Hatch before, you were doing really well - world champion Alan Jones to me
What was a long drawn out it'll-get-better-soon fuzzy dream has become one of history's most epic gun in the mouth clusterfucks that a decade won't even half fix. - Flouncy on McLaren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:58 pm 
Alex Yoong

Achievements:

Well that was disappointing. First of all well done to Dan and Renault. Putting together a good qualy lap where others couldn't put them ahead of cars that are much faster. They were always going to struggle to keep the position, but still finishing ahead of one of the Red Bulls on merit is very encouraging.

On the Vettel decision, I cannot see that the stewards could have done anything else. It's a crap decision and horrible for the sport, but the regs and the precedents are there. Have a look at Mexico 2016 and Verstappen outbraking himself, going off track and in doing so staying ahead of Vettel. Result=5s penalty. Nothing really new here, just in this case it was for the win and ruined what could have been a great finish.

I feel for the stewards. They're being hammered, but if they'd gone the other way the outcries of inconsistency would have been deafening.

The sport needs to change,back off on regulation and let the racers race. Hopefully this is a high enough profile case for them to realise and change.

I can only hope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next