""

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Practicing.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 am 
Ayrton Senna

Car Number: #19
Achievements:

Thought I'd pop this up in here. Some good ideas and suggestions.

Some of which most will probably know of, but like me, often forget to do. :D

Post subject: Re: Practicing.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Car Number: #86
Achievements:

heh. I watched this last night when it popped into my feed. So true.
(I get all my setups from VRS) First prac session of a new week/track I usually spend getting used to the setup, getting my braking points sorted and when I'm going to throttle on. I test with a full tank and run and run. Once I'm confident, I'll drop the fuel down to the lowest possible (enough for 5-6 laps) and do a couple of hot laps to see where I sit on the practice times in that session.

Any practice session after that I spend trying to follow other people. If possible, we'll get a train going of 4-5 cars and try and do as many laps as possible with us all following each other closely. TBH I don't do a lot of specific practice running off line and trying other lines through corners. I think I'm familiar enough with the car and the track that I've got a good feeling for what will happen. I think I probably turn about 50-150 laps in practice before I go racing. I think the best practice is race :) I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't yet know the track. You should def be able to lap consistently, within a few tenths every lap, at worst, before your first race. But once you know the track, get in and do lots of races.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Car Number: #62
Achievements:

Agreed. practicing and hot lapping are two very different things.

Always tell newbies, ignore lap times, it doesn't matter (yet) just be consistent and stay on track. being 5-8 seconds a lap slower than the fastest guy is better than spinning and loose 10+ seconds every few lap, not to mention damage and just enjoyment of actually racing.

Sadly i can't/don't put in nearly enough practice laps in, and do end up using the race as practice. aim is to do 2 races a week (iRacing here) with the 1st race as practice, and if i have a poor result (aiming for 50+ points per week) and i enjoyed the track, i do another race for real/better result know MY limits better.

But ultimately I only really do 15-20 minutes of practice before the first race, which is harder to get a decent result if it's new track to me.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 pm 
Alex Yoong

Achievements:

Love this video, not only cos I am still amazed at that viper going around the track, but what the bloke is saying makes perfect sense.. traffic... damage... fark!!!

Love it.