Season Guide: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1990
Car and Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1988
Drivers and Teams: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1987

Round Information
Date: Sunday 4 August 2019
Time: 7:45pm (AEST) [Practice Open at 7:25]
Track: Donnington Park GP
Car: Indycar (Road)
Weather report: Clear & Sunny (Summer, all sessions at 14:00)
Server Name: ASR Season 6
Server Password: asrpc2
Race administrator: Veedub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:55 pm 
Keke Rosberg
Driver ID: #15
Car Number: #9
Achievements:

Really sorry for the hit Schroda. I truly thought you weren't there but looking at the replay, we were pretty much neck and neck. I think maybe I was a little hot tempered that you went wide there because that caused me to go wide as I was on the outside of you on the last corner. Those last two corners I could see you maybe defending a bit and both times that caused me to go wider than my usual line. Apologies for the tap that caused the spin for sure. Felt really bad at the time.

Good night of racing though fellas, 14 people makes for a very interesting race throughout.

First race I got punted off on the first corner which put me in last but managed to race my way back up to third. Was sucking on Erads tailpipe for what seemed like ages and it felt really good( :lol: ). I hit him into the chicane once but gave the position back to him. Pitted on minute 23 with tanks still over half full so that I could run the tanks down towards the end of the race, it worked as I finished on about 10ltr in the tank. Was trying to catch Flouncy and was doing so at about .5 second a lap but it was not enough. Third is a good finish.

Second race was interesting, varying pitstop strats from everyone. I didn't think I chose enough fuel to put in before the race started so was driving to get as far as I could on the first tank. Then pitted and came out with another 34ltrs. Came out behind Schroda and caught up to him and then a lap later there was the incident. Stuffed up a few corners later while distracted apologizing and let Vee through and then tried concentrating on making no mistakes to stay ahead of Flouncy. Finished 4th I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:01 am 
Carlos Reutemann
Driver ID: #103
Car Number: #24
Achievements:

Hi all,

Results for Round 3 below. Good turnout tonight with 14 qaulifying and 12 racing, with a couple of unfortunate dropouts in the race due to techincal difficulties.

Some good racing again and some interesting pit stop strategies, with Shroda moving up to 4th with his pitstop at the start of race 2. Before being taken out again by team Shake 'n Bake. Nothing personal Schroda, but that big yellow car is really difficult to miss.

The season is shaping up to be very competitive, with 4 different race winners thus far over the 3 race weekends.

Congratulations to Veedub for taking pole and the Race 1 win. Congrats to Vik for his Race 2 win, bringing his tally for the season up to 2 race wins.

On to Round 4 at Oulton!

Qualification Results

Race 1 Results

Race 2 Results

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 am 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #63
Car Number: #2
Achievements:

Ghost wrote:
Really sorry for the hit Schroda. I truly thought you weren't there but looking at the replay, we were pretty much neck and neck. I think maybe I was a little hot tempered that you went wide there because that caused me to go wide as I was on the outside of you on the last corner. Those last two corners I could see you maybe defending a bit and both times that caused me to go wider than my usual line. Apologies for the tap that caused the spin for sure. Felt really bad at the time.

Good night of racing though fellas, 14 people makes for a very interesting race throughout.

First race I got punted off on the first corner which put me in last but managed to race my way back up to third. Was sucking on Erads tailpipe for what seemed like ages and it felt really good( :lol: ). I hit him into the chicane once but gave the position back to him. Pitted on minute 23 with tanks still over half full so that I could run the tanks down towards the end of the race, it worked as I finished on about 10ltr in the tank. Was trying to catch Flouncy and was doing so at about .5 second a lap but it was not enough. Third is a good finish.

Second race was interesting, varying pitstop strats from everyone. I didn't think I chose enough fuel to put in before the race started so was driving to get as far as I could on the first tank. Then pitted and came out with another 34ltrs. Came out behind Schroda and caught up to him and then a lap later there was the incident. Stuffed up a few corners later while distracted apologizing and let Vee through and then tried concentrating on making no mistakes to stay ahead of Flouncy. Finished 4th I think.

Don't worry Ghost, and anyway I was involved in a first corner incident.
Seemed to be a slow down at the first corner, and the pack seemed to concertina and i ran into the back of someone, I think Erads, my apologies !.

The incident with Ghost was the second similar incident in 2 weeks.
This has started me thinking, I know I will have to use Crewchief, but at the moment am running RSDash.
How much of these incidents are caused by differing POVs, I run one screen, and do not see people beside me until they are almost completely beside me.
I gather some run triple screens, some VR, both of these I believe give you a much better view of vehicle beside you.
In both the incidents I am referring to, I, at no time could see the person attempting the overtake,
Any thoughts on the differences between single screen, versus triple screen and VR for sighting cars beside you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:34 am 
Gerhard Berger
Driver ID: #114
Car Number: #777
Achievements:

Yeah mate you a definately up against it on a single monitor unless its is a superwide etc.. i have raced on tvs, monitors, ultrawides, triples and VR and i can tell you nothing gives depth perception like VR .. i recomend to all sim racers.. in the meantime grab crew chief and the fella will tell ya when there is a car next to you and say things like "still there , still there , ok now your clear " etc im almost sure you will love it mate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:36 pm 
Sebastian Vettel

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

schroda wrote:
The incident with Ghost was the second similar incident in 2 weeks.
This has started me thinking, I know I will have to use Crewchief, but at the moment am running RSDash.
How much of these incidents are caused by differing POVs, I run one screen, and do not see people beside me until they are almost completely beside me.
I gather some run triple screens, some VR, both of these I believe give you a much better view of vehicle beside you.
In both the incidents I am referring to, I, at no time could see the person attempting the overtake,
Any thoughts on the differences between single screen, versus triple screen and VR for sighting cars beside you.

Single monitor racing is hard without any third party apps. CrewChief is good with it's spotter mode, as well as other updates and stuff. Even though I race with a single monitor, I have TrackIR which allows me to see who's next to me in corners and also tight corners. May not have the full quality and detail as VR, but is a decent cheap alternative and works in other racing games that may not support VR.

I also have RSDash running on my second monitor, mainly just to keep track of fuel usage. Shame I can't map any buttons on my wheel to change the screens; might have to move some around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:39 pm 
Francois Cevert

Car Number: #7
Achievements:

Great to see a good turn out with numbers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:28 pm 
Jochen Rindt
Driver ID: #10
Car Number: #11
Achievements:

schroda wrote:
Seemed to be a slow down at the first corner, and the pack seemed to concertina and i ran into the back of someone, I think Erads, my apologies !

Race 2 about halfway around first lap, after the fast sweeping corners? That would've been me.
Got rammed me up the back which spun me off. :x

Oh well, karma for me getting through the race 1 turn 1 chaos unscathed perhaps, lol.

"Grosjean is a human asparagus. Mildly satisfying but thin and weak." - Flouncy, truth speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:38 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

Eradicator wrote:
schroda wrote:
Seemed to be a slow down at the first corner, and the pack seemed to concertina and i ran into the back of someone, I think Erads, my apologies !

Race 2 about halfway around first lap, after the fast sweeping corners? That would've been me.

Oh well, karma for me getting through the race 1 turn 1 chaos unscathed perhaps, lol.

That wasn't me, the incident was at the first corner of race 1.
I pitted on the first lap of race 2.
But I will check the video

Last edited by schroda on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:00 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

schroda wrote:
Eradicator wrote:
schroda wrote:

That wasn't me, the incident was at the first corner.

i forgot to record the weekends races , did you upload your race schroda? ill check it out if ya did

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 pm 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

VikRacer wrote:
i forgot to record the weekends races , did you upload your race schroda? ill check it out if ya did

I recorded race one with geforce inbuilt video record. So is only from my car.
I remembered to save race 2 with the pcars2 save, that's the one you can cycle through all the drivers
but I would need to use shadowplay to re record.

I will have a go with race 2, and cycle through to show the race unfolding, well i'll try anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

schroda wrote:
VikRacer wrote:

I recorded race one with geforce inbuilt video record. So is only from my car.
I remembered to save race 2 with the pcars2 save, that's the one you can cycle through all the drivers
but I would need to use shadowplay to re record.

I will have a go with race 2, and cycle through to show the race unfolding, well i'll try anyway.

sounds good mate they are good to watch :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:15 pm 
Keke Rosberg
Driver ID: #15
Car Number: #9
Achievements:

schroda wrote:
Eradicator wrote:
schroda wrote:

That wasn't me, the incident was at the first corner of race 1.
I pitted on the first lap of race 2.

Yeah that was me Schroda, first lap, first corner you punted me and put me into last position. That's what I was referring to in my recap up above. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

With some of the first corner turmoil that went on in both races (which I neatly managed to avoid!) I'm pretty keen to see how the championship standings come out of that round. A few people finished out of position as a result of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:36 pm 
Gerhard Berger
Achievements:

I just drove myself off the track in t1 race 1 , too much inertia from the fuel load and fixating on the back of Flouncy and Vee .. the whole field just passed on by and I started chasing from the back.. (becoming a trend :P)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:39 pm 
Alex Yoong
Driver ID: #108
Car Number: #99
Achievements:

schroda wrote:

I went from single screen to triple screen to VR. Actually the triples arrived only very shortly before VR and the benefits of VR for me were so good that now the triples have been dismantled and redeployed and the missus now has a nice new screen for the laptop!

Now is actually quite an interesting time to be jumping on the VR bandwagon because since WMR has been around a while it has finally had the effect of redefining the price expectations for all headset manufacturers. As a result prices are much more reasonable than before. Plus there are plenty of second hand options now available all over the place.

Though you don't run a 'virtual' rear-view mirror like you do on a single screen the situational awareness is far better IMO. So easy to glance to the wing mirrors, especially in these small single-seaters like we're racing at the moment. As has also been mentioned applications like crew-chief also help by alerting you to approaching traffic too.

If you have the opportunity to trial someone else's set then definitely do it. Particularly if you require vision correction because obviously everyone's eyes are different.

Triples are a close run second option. Excellent visibility to the wing mirrrors without having to boost the FoV beyond what is natural and realistic. Though the few drawbacks I found vs VR were that in VR you feel 'in' the car so car positioning is easier riding the kerbs because it literally feels like the edge of the track is running under you. And also the stereoscopic nature of it makes distance to very closely follow cars easy because it's intuitive. I managed to get away with a 960 to drive 1080px triples - though with the graphics very much at the low end. VR definitely requires more grunt than that (>=1070?)

The main drawback with VR with respect to triples is the much lower resolution and fidelity (though I find that the immersion makes up for this and you quickly forget about it). Also menus can be quite a pain in the arse, particularly tabbing in and out of programs to discord, etc. Then there's the fact that some people get viciously unwell with motion sickness. I'm terrible on a lumpy boat and can't read my phone on the bus but yet completely immune to even the most violent hooliganism in VR. So it's not predictable if you'll suffer or not. On the other end of the spectrum I had a colleague come over and he was tearing the headset and his clothing off at the end of the pit straight already sweating with the pre-voms!

And lastly I don't think VR or triples make you faster than others without. (Proof: I'm not at the top of the leaderboard!) But it does aid in knowing where you are and fitting in on the track. And most of all it's about the fun factor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm 
Carlos Reutemann
Achievements:

Yeah - what Cap said. Nothing beats VR in terms of situational awareness. Between the car mirrors and just being able to glance to the side you pretty much know exactly when & where cars are around you. And the immersion is phenomenal.

Best way I can describe it for someone that hasn't tried it is to think of the difference between a Wii steering wheel (the one you hold up in the air in front of you) and a force feedback wheel. That's the difference between screen and VR.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 am 
Alex Yoong
Achievements:

captainleather wrote:
schroda wrote:

I went from single screen to triple screen to VR. Actually the triples arrived only very shortly before VR and the benefits of VR for me were so good that now the triples have been dismantled and redeployed and the missus now has a nice new screen for the laptop!

Now is actually quite an interesting time to be jumping on the VR bandwagon because since WMR has been around a while it has finally had the effect of redefining the price expectations for all headset manufacturers. As a result prices are much more reasonable than before. Plus there are plenty of second hand options now available all over the place.

Though you don't run a 'virtual' rear-view mirror like you do on a single screen the situational awareness is far better IMO. So easy to glance to the wing mirrors, especially in these small single-seaters like we're racing at the moment. As has also been mentioned applications like crew-chief also help by alerting you to approaching traffic too.

If you have the opportunity to trial someone else's set then definitely do it. Particularly if you require vision correction because obviously everyone's eyes are different.

Triples are a close run second option. Excellent visibility to the wing mirrrors without having to boost the FoV beyond what is natural and realistic. Though the few drawbacks I found vs VR were that in VR you feel 'in' the car so car positioning is easier riding the kerbs because it literally feels like the edge of the track is running under you. And also the stereoscopic nature of it makes distance to very closely follow cars easy because it's intuitive. I managed to get away with a 960 to drive 1080px triples - though with the graphics very much at the low end. VR definitely requires more grunt than that (>=1070?)

The main drawback with VR with respect to triples is the much lower resolution and fidelity (though I find that the immersion makes up for this and you quickly forget about it). Also menus can be quite a pain in the arse, particularly tabbing in and out of programs to discord, etc. Then there's the fact that some people get viciously unwell with motion sickness. I'm terrible on a lumpy boat and can't read my phone on the bus but yet completely immune to even the most violent hooliganism in VR. So it's not predictable if you'll suffer or not. On the other end of the spectrum I had a colleague come over and he was tearing the headset and his clothing off at the end of the pit straight already sweating with the pre-voms!

And lastly I don't think VR or triples make you faster than others without. (Proof: I'm not at the top of the leaderboard!) But it does aid in knowing where you are and fitting in on the track. And most of all it's about the fun factor.

Much food for thought, not long ago bought 32" 1440 curved widescreen. Love it
Have aspired to triple screen, and have thought VR is pretty damn good, but still technically immature.
But the immersion factor sounds awesome. Though I must admit the issues with external apps is an issue for me.
I can't see me having any major upgrades for a while.

The Fanatec 2.5 was a big upgrade for racing, bought it at christmas, but hadn't driven it much up till this championship.
The 2.5 has been an awesome acquisition.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Driver ID: #1
Car Number: #76
Achievements:

Will need some info on the driver Caelum. Will need to know team, number etc.

"You are the nicest person and greatest sim racer and also most handsome and funny person that ever lived."
Ben Mansill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 pm 
Carlos Reutemann
Achievements:

Caelum = Chigerama/ Chingerama