Atomic Sim Racing

Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 am 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

My instinctual reactions are far too quick for this car. You lose control quickly, but the journey to that point is slow, very deceiving. I just need more seat time in the Ford GT40 to understand the way it reacts and learn the track better to get closer to you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 am 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

Do you mean you try and correct to quickly? These types of cars suit my style I think. As we've talked about a few times, I like a slow, smooth style - not out of shape - and possibly not at or over the limit. You prefer to driver right at the limit and rely on tiny (possibly quick?) corrections to keep it on the track. Me, in cars that suit that style, is slow because I can't extract the maximum from it. i.e. F1 cars and to a lessor extent, aero cars in general.

The video uploading now has my 3:58.0 lap from replay (using TV angle) and a 4:02.0 lap from GoPro. GoPro ran out of batteries before I could record the 3:58.0. The 4:02.0 lap has me hitting walls and missing apexes left, right, and center :( - obviously done before my 3:58.0, while I was still learning the car and track. Gives an idea of my inputs at least.

P.S. Happy Birthday :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:02 pm 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

kikz wrote:
P.S. Happy Birthday :D

Haha TY :D

kikz wrote:
Do you mean you try and correct to quickly? These types of cars suit my style I think. As we've talked about a few times, I like a slow, smooth style - not out of shape - and possibly not at or over the limit. You prefer to driver right at the limit and rely on tiny (possibly quick?) corrections to keep it on the track.

yeah I think I'm just too hard-wired for quick small (and some larger) corrections. Hard to break out of that habit, it's definitely as a result of aero loading - expecting the car to stay put, when it doesn't. I find myself anticipating corrections (as a result of my aggressive style) that didn't need to happen, i.e. the car just didn't respond the way I thought it was going to, and so I am making corrections for my corrections :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

Here are my laps. First is the replay of my 3:58.0 from TV camera perspective. 2nd is a 4:02.0 I did before my GoPro battery died. You can see me belting the wall and missing apexes all over the place. Go to 4:19 for the 2nd lap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

HEY! Happy Birthday Mate!!

------

Game on for the Shootout here, love it.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

But where is everyone else?

And I think it doesn't work for Parkour either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:05 pm 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

Yeah it said something like event.ini has been modified in the RSR app and so wouldn't record any times.

In other news I did briefly top the tables over kikz, until some Brazilian topped me by 7 tenths. He seems pretty quick on the straight @ 320km/h verses mine and kikz 312km/h. So might need to delve into car setups there, as I was using default.

petevo wrote:
HEY! Happy Birthday Mate!!

Thanks mate!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

Yeah that's bananas. Aint no way I'm going that fast without a lot of practice and a setup (and probably a talent injection). I did notice the guy below me did 316. I've tried a few lines through that corner before the big straight, and a few different shift points but the car always maxes out at 312, even if my new line now has me gaining 0.1 to 0.15 by allowing me to get on the throttle earlier.

I've noticed a good chunk of time gained by sliding through some of the turns, but every time it's been a mistake that I've managed to hold on to. Tried to repeat it only to end up losing it. Maybe I need to re-install my handbrake :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:26 pm 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

The gears, if you drop them down (drive gear) and really commit to staying flat on the straight, you can get that fast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

That's the only option. I looked at it but didn't try it, because it says 310 max. but yeah, no wings, so it's the only option - especially when I'm bouncing off 311/312 for a stretch.

I've just updated the server to run this track car combo. hopefully we can get a few of us circulating at once and maybe getting tows down the straight for extra boost.

Server: ASR Highlands Challenge
Password: (the usual).

oh yeah when I said "that fast" I was talking about lap time, not terminal speed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:22 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

air temp? he's running at 19 vs the standard 26.

Does in theory help the engine run cooler/better. But gear and diff ratio's are the same, so should in theory still rev out at the same point??

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

Yeah lower air temp definitely helps go faster. Cooler air is more dense, which makes the engine go bang more (yay for combustion) and generate a few more HP - so yeah, cooler should give more top end - in theory. I don't know how well the game models this. I noticed variations of seconds in iRacing with a 10 degree difference in track temp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 am 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

Take that Brazilian!

Here's my WR setup:
Quote:
[FINAL_RATIO]
VALUE=1

[TYRES]
VALUE=0
[PRESSURE_LF]
VALUE=32

[PRESSURE_RF]
VALUE=32

[PRESSURE_LR]
VALUE=28

[PRESSURE_RR]
VALUE=28

[FUEL]
VALUE=8

[CAMBER_LF]
VALUE=-23

[TOE_OUT_LF]
VALUE=22

[CAMBER_RF]
VALUE=-23

[TOE_OUT_RF]
VALUE=22

[CAMBER_LR]
VALUE=-8

[TOE_OUT_LR]
VALUE=21

[CAMBER_RR]
VALUE=-5

[TOE_OUT_RR]
VALUE=21

[DAMP_BUMP_LF]
VALUE=6

[DAMP_REBOUND_LF]
VALUE=5

[DAMP_BUMP_RF]
VALUE=6

[DAMP_REBOUND_RF]
VALUE=5

[DAMP_BUMP_LR]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_REBOUND_LR]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_BUMP_RR]
VALUE=3

[DAMP_REBOUND_RR]
VALUE=1

[BRAKE_POWER_MULT]
VALUE=100

[FRONT_BIAS]
VALUE=63

[ENGINE_LIMITER]
VALUE=100

[ARB_REAR]
VALUE=4

[CAR]
MODEL=ks_ford_gt40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 am 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

I did another run last night and equalled the Brazilians time on with my setup (will post later) and did another run on Parkours set that was 0.4 faster than the German. I saw Parkours set and he only had 8L of fuel and I was WTF (he was online too, so I asked him) because it took me 2 flying laps before I started to turn out my best times. He swore he just got on it straight away (obvious reason coming) and I tried my set again and his set and each time I was nearly 1s down on my PB of 3:58.0 by the third corner! (The first right hander out in the greenery). I exited and set it to use Tyre Blankets, and BAM first attempt was a 3:56.4, funny lol.

Excuse time: but this was after midnight and I had done an hr of kickboxing training in the morning and a "Rip Fit" class in the evening (torturous combination of cardio and weights) and my right hamstring was literally cramping if I stood on the brakes too hard. i.e. I couldn't brake at the maximum potential of the car - Sometimes more realistic brakes just aren't that great lol.

It took me a few goes to stay on track and I'm still not used to the different setup but at least we've got to ASR guys at the top and my PB splits tell me it'll be a close thing if I can sort out the body parts... :)

Interestingly, watching that video, Parkour has a distinctly different line through pretty much every corner. Not just a little different, markedly different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:22 pm 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

Parkour wrote:
Interestingly, watching that video, Parkour has a distinctly different line through pretty much every corner. Not just a little different, markedly different.

The driver/cockpit view seems fairly indicative of my driving style or certainly what i remember feeling at the time. My fav bit is turn 2 that long left-hander before the grassy bit.

One thing that struck me odd was how much faster your lap looked compared to mine, it just looked way faster on that TV cam, without a doubt my lap looks uber weird by comparison. I thought it had something to do with me avoiding bumps in the road, but I can only assume it's because of how I try to compensate for understeer, and how I carry speed. Visually at times you'll notice how out of shape the car gets under braking and I think it's because I am coming into corners way too hot, so I turn in early to give me more room to understeer across the corner, before it grips up again. I think this allows me to carry maximum speed into the turn and use the car understeer to slow it down - not pretty, but effective enough. There's also a bit of Scandinavian flick going on to, more rally-style than road car, where I deliberately get the rear light on entry and use that to help point the car in where I want it to go - but the car is really on the edge (like at the hairpin).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 am 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

Video incoming, but just did a 3:54.5 - Made a few errors - mainly slow through the big righthander before the longest straight. In subsequent laps I got that sorted. Got down to 0.6 up on that when I tapped the wall at the last corner before the city again (right hander). Should have the speed for a 3:54.0 I think. maybe.

Took all the rear ARB out of your set and balanced the rear bump (or was it rebound, whatever the bottom setting is) - down to 1

Back on top, over to you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 am 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

Alright, time for me to take off the handbrake...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:38 am 
Ayrton Senna

Achievements:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:37 am 
ASR AC Champion

Achievements:

Back on top...over to you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm 
Michael Shumacher

Achievements:

Something a little different and pretty "simple" to re-do over and over:

http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveT ... entId=1917