Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm 
Keke Rosberg

Car Number: #16
Achievements:

For the first time in ASR history, an attempt to conquer the infamous Green Hell was made using the Mercedes GT3. Preparation had been a bit rushed since we had limited time after Sebring to prepare but come the Saturday morning of the event we were primed and ready.

Session
Our session was session 3 out of 4, with an SOF of 1736 and 49 GT3 only cars. The session above, with an SOF of 1740 was multiclass but had higher iRating drivers than us so unlikely we would have made it.

Qualy

For Qualifying it was agreed that Woody would qualify, in order to set a competitive time, but also keep him and Mesa fresh for the start of their stints each

A safe banker lap of 8:23.311 was set, initially putting us 17th but dropping down as more cars set their times. Was 0.5 seconds up on my second lap when I went off track just over halfway and had to pull out. Eventually, we were placed 32nd

Race
Mesa started in the car for us, avoiding 2 spinning cars and joining a long train of cars despite ping spikes from him. A few corners from the second Carousel Mesa braked early, which would have surprised the car behind who tapped us (netcode) and sent is into the outside wall. Mesa tried to drive the car back, but the damage was too great and a tow back to the pits with a 16 minute repair that would put us 2 laps down. Despite the repairs, the car's bonnet was sticking up in front of the driver and the car had some bent steering, not something you want to see down in p46. Clean laps had us up to 41st when Mesa missed the pit entrance with 5L left, so he drove around till empty and then towed back. I then hopped in, setting fast laps (8:27.543 on lap 13) as we passed cars that were in the pits to be 30th at the end of my first stint. On lap 17 I had a spin through the fast left hander before Carousel that bent the bonnet more. By lap 22 we were 25th, however with a faster car behind me I ran off track, letting p26th past after passing them the lap before. Exiting the Carousel they braked for the left-hander that's always flat out, surprising me as I then went down the inside of them into the next left-hander. Somehow giving room wasn't something they knew, and so tagged me into the wall, most likely as revenge since I seemed to have clipped them on the way in. A 4-minute tow back and 20 minute repair saw us drop to p34, still optimistic to finish ahead of were we started.

By the time Veedub did his 2 stints, we were back up to p25, handing over to JB who kept the car fairly clean despite a few scary moments and minor contact to see us in 19th with 6 minutes of repairs before Veedub did a double stint. Disaster struck on lap 57 when iRacing crashed for Veedub as he came onto the Ring, an 8-minute tow being required and 4 minutes of repair, but we were still 21st after it all and then p18 when Veedub handed over to JB. Lap 67 and JB rode a sector 3 kerb too much, hitting the wall and limping back to the pits with 24 minutes of repairs for p20. Veedub then hopped in, driving steady to see us in 16th as the sun rose over the Eifel mountains before handing over to Mesa. After Mesa's first stint we were 13th, up to 12th by the end of his second stint. I then hopped in and banged out fast laps, seeing us up to 11th after my 2 stints before handing back to JB. After his first stint, he was p10 as we traded that place with p11 who was off sequence with us.

On lap 127, 4 laps into JB's second stint he braked late on the Dottinger straight, sliding into the wall which gave us some damage. We decided to ride it out and maybe pit earlier, but disaster struck as JB ran wide into a corner, onto the grass, and spun nose-first into a wall. The 8-minute tow felt like a lifetime as we then faced a 1-hour repair, most likely to replace the engine, and saw us drop to 17th. With 2.5 hours to go, I decided to drive to the end as I was already planned to be in the car for a double stint. From there it was all about bringing the car home in 16th, which I did as I chatted with Mesa and Veedub throughout the end.

For us, finishing the race was an achievement and a testament to staying on track and driving around gaining places over those who had long repairs and retired. A lot has been learnt from this race, especially around preparation and managing mental fatigue across the race. Hopefully next year we can come back and go bigger and better.