Atomic Sim Racing

Online Simracing Community

""

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 pm 
Forum Admin

This thread is an open forum discussion, about anything to do with next season. Feel free to post any and all suggestions, wish lists, hopes, dreams and desires about the next season - right here. Tell the world what you liked about the last/previous seasons, what you didn't like, and why. Be bold, be brash.

Think of it as a suggestions box. A place to make your feelings known and have others comment on it. All (civil and non-abusive) comments are welcome.

No topic is taboo, but Flame wars not welcome. You have been warned: don't invoke the Wrath of Plod.

Later on, there will be specific poll threads set up on specific topics that will help shape the makeup of the new season but for now, this is the place. Go nuts. I wanna know.

Go.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:20 pm 
Ayrton Senna

Obviously, everyone expects this... But it is a wishlist so...

Sim: Automobilista
Car: Formula Trainer or Caterham
The game just has so many more league friendly options... *shrugs* and so many open wheeled cars to work our way up through...

When we do go with AC again though :P, I know everyone loves the F1 cars... and yes it's our roots etc etc... but thinking about how to get our numbers up, and perhaps attract back some of the guys we used to have around here, do we need a car that is, or at least appears to be, more accessible?

Personally, I thought the racing with the F138 was really good, and it is an easy car to drive, and everyone raced really well in the previous season... it seemed like a pretty clean, fair raced season....

Throwing cars into the ring...
Perhaps something like the Lotus 3-11, or Cayman GT4 as a single make series... or one of the GT3 cars... they're still quick, but don't have that razor edge to them...
Speaking from experience with our AMS Funday Sundays, some of the slower cars have provided the best, and seriously fun racing.
Where something like the F138 you need to be on point each and every corner to be fast... a car like the Formula Trainer for example is far more forgiving, which opens up room for error, different lines etc.... those races around Taruma... so good... amiright?!

That'll do for now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 pm 
Ayrton Senna

heh. I was about to PM you Ploddy.

So, anything I say can probably safely be ignored, because if I thought any of my ideas were going to work here I wouldn't have thrown my hands up in the air and said "fuck this shit".

So fuck it right, and I'll try to not make this a whinge, or long.

Here's the thing. I love sim racing, as I'm sure many of us do. But no, I love it. It's something I don't want to only do once a fortnight. I have pretty much every decent sim game out. And there are some great sims. There are great cars in those great sims, and there are great tracks too. And what do we do? We play the one sim, the one car, on a few tracks for half a year. That just doesn't do it for me. I've spent literally thousands of dollars on sim software and thousands more on hardware. I want to make use of that stuff. We're not even turning up for fun FNP races, or even races in different cars on the other Sunday. It's once a fortnight and that's lame. This is a sim racing community, so why do half of us only race once a fortnight? Yeah we're all busy, I get it. But only once a fortnight, and then we get drop off through the season as well (last season was good though, 8 at the end)? For me, once a fortnight is not enough - having one race a fortnight makes it harder to get that "good race high". Now, I realise people may say "There's nothing stopping you racing elsewhere in between races". That's correct. I can make the "elsewhere" my normal place to race and then come here once every fortnight or whenever I feel like. What message is that though?

Point 1: There's not enough racing

That brings me to my next thing I think we need to have. Rules. Enforced Rules. I think the #1 imperative is "do not hit another car". You contact another car, you fucked up. You hit someone, you stop and you give the place back. Simple and respectful. Some people do, but some people don't. Make it a Rule. Make it clear.

Now, the problem as I see is, some people don't like hard rules. We can't enforce rules because we can't afford to have people drop out and no longer race here. The other side of that is I believe rules will help create an environment that is attractive to other people. They'd know what they're getting into. But do rules go against this frankly bullshit notion of ASR being a "Casual" league? We're not a bunch of kids banging around Need For Speed, rubbing panels and what not. We're all pretty speedy and have been doing this for years. Don't confuse cordial and familiar, with Casual. To repeat, with the rules thing, I think at a minimum we need to have a basic "Don't hit the other racer" rule. And if so, you must redress.

Point 2: We need at least 1 rule

millen wrote:
Where something like the F138 you need to be on point each and every corner to be fast... a car like the Formula Trainer for example is far more forgiving, which opens up room for error, different lines etc.... those races around Taruma... so good... amiright?!

Yep you're right. I've been shouting this for literally years. Slower cars = closer fields = easier to handle and throw around, and fun. fun. fun.

Last edited by kikz on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 pm 
Ayrton Senna

I support and agree with both of kikz's points. :D
More events would be awesome. but we need more people for that to work I think.
...and yes, we aren't kids (well, most of us :P) some basic rule set would be handy. But it then needs to be enforced also. :)

Would really love for some of the guys we've lost along the way to find this thread, so they can post and hear from them their reasoning as to why they aren't around anymore. Sure, more than likely it's because life got busier or whatever... but would like to know if there would be a way we could make them feel part of the community again.

The core group we have here, speaking on behalf of them, I assume would be happy to race pretty much anything... but what do we need to do to get the other people...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:18 pm 
Ayrton Senna

millen wrote:
I support and agree with both of kikz's points. :D
More events would be awesome. but we need more people for that to work I think.
...and yes, we aren't kids (well, most of us :P) some basic rule set would be handy. But it then needs to be enforced also. :)

For sure, the lack of people is the obvious reason to point 1 :) I reckon maybe 100 active members would be enough to get at least a race a week going, and some fun races. (maybe even during the week too).

Also, about Point 1. I've thought this for a while... This is sort of Point 1, maybe Point 1.5. Scrap the "championship". You know what's fun? One off races. Races where the goal isn't to accumulate the most points over a period of time. Races where you know you get a result you didn't like, it doesn't matter. There's no stress to missing a race, and therefore there's no problem with coming back again at any time. Maybe this isn't a problem. Maybe it's just me. Having a bad result or missing a race means the "pretend" championship is all but gone. There's no talk of championships, there's no people getting pissy about dpdgy race moves. The slate is wiped clean for next race when the race is done. I dunno, perhaps a championship is both the hook that keeps some people here and the thing that pushes some people away. Anyway, the off weekend could easily be the weekend for single races. I'm not necessarily talking 5 lappers either. I'm talking pre planned 20+ minute races in a car and track (and sim?) announced in advance. Make those races feel like they're part of the actual woodwork too, not just a side thing a couple of guys are doing every now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:52 pm 
Jacky Ickx

I focus on iracing where I am part of a group of people racing mostly the ProMazda, and I race every night, or as many times a week as I can find a race.

So - for me personally, even though I had much fun racing the F1 cars (why I joined here to begin with...) I like the idea of open races with different games and combos.

Formula trainer or slow open wheelers are good fun. If not that please no GT3 cars, they are boring. I suggest more of the little cars like CLIO's, mini's etc for a change of pace, so to speak

Games?
AMS yes
PCARS yes
Raceroom yes (very underrated and great sounding cars)
AC of course

The risk with that is people dont bother showing up cause nothing is at stake.

G27 wheel and Clubsport V3 pedals, Logitech G230 headset, Win 10 Home 64bit with 8Gig Ram, i5 3570k at 4.5GHz with Hyper Evo 2 cooler, MSI GTX980, 3x24" at 5760x1080

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 am 
Ayrton Senna

I have one more before I pull the covers up for the night...

I see this thread is about Next Season, so perhaps this is a little out of scope. What is the goal of ASR and what is the intent of attracting more members? Is it to pad out our races with racers? For sure that's a good thing. No one wants to be racing in 5 car fields, driving around by themselves. Maybe the goal, the point of ASR is to build a community. I've settled on it being the former. But how's this...

Maybe it's about Community... There two dynamics ASR could take, possibly even both. With and Against. We either meet here to go racing with each other and/or we meet to racing against each other. As a league, this is what we do. We rock up and we compete Against each other. But what if we went racing With each other?

I think almost to a man, every driver thoroughly enjoyed the single time we got together with each other and went racing: The Petite Le Mans. Some of us described it as the single best sim racing experience we've ever had. That's pretty powerful stuff. My own personal experience of team racing is positive (and this precedes team events in iRacing). I spent a couple of years in a team, where we all worked together to make each other better racers, and on reflection I find With a much better atmosphere than Against - You're more likely to feel like you're part of something. But that's pretty serious stuff. You have to be a serious sim racer to commit at that level (I don't necessarily mean fast, but committed - you'll get fast as a byproduct). Anyway, it's another type of community. League / Against is ASR dna though. This house is one built on pretending to live the F1 dream. I mean that with all respect. Pretending to be an F1 God is what got me into playing racing games all those years ago.

Anyway, that's quite a distance from "What are we racing next season". Sorry :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

This might struggle to get visibility here, so probably worth global sticking this Plods.

In regards to game, well no question AC for me.

As for cars, I don't think a move to GT or any car at the moment is a good one. We just spend a season getting used to the F138 and as the season progressed racing became closer as we all came to grips with the F138.

I'd personally prefer at least another season in this and build on the solid base we've established.

I agree with Kikz we need more events, more racing, but things that complement and surround our main championship. It would be good to see more weekly events, some endurance racing perhaps, or smaller sprint events. Something to occupy and give people other challenges outside the main championship.

Maybe we need to do 2 championships. Since GT is such a popular choice have a GT and F1 championship with racing each weekend, alternating. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 pm 
Ayrton Senna

I like the idea of running a championship 1 fortnight and having the other Sunday (assuming we still want to limit to Sunday 8pm, which everyone is familiar with) for single races in different cars/tracks. Voted on fortnight by fortnight. It means if you're sucking hard at the championship, there's still a reason to race. and variety.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:02 pm 
Lewis Hamilton

We never did get around to doing that enduro event we talked about ages ago.

Dirt 4 is a thing. I'm enjoying it atm. Haven't looked at multiplayer but we can perhaps do something like we did with Rally which was nice, allowed us to compete any time during the week at each players leisure.

What I liked about last F1 AC season; having a grid full of liveried up cars was great, reverse grid 2nd race spiced the racing up and let me rub shoulders a little with drivers I otherwise wouldn't.
What I didn't like; setups, hard tyre option was too slow for most scenarios.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:43 pm 
ASR AC Champion

Suggestions/Wish lists
> Monthly alternate AC championships around the main F1, like retro F1 cars, Le Man Cars, GT3 (all cars and open setups, including tyres and no additional ballast)
> Weekly AMS or other sim racing, even something that none of us consider a sim per ce, to attract a crowd and get people over here. Once they're in, we can hold them hostage and demand they join in the other races we have on offer like AC...

Hopes
> At least 1 enduro
> Exploration of creative and different race formats or game features in other categories - sprint, random grid, road cars on road tracks, time trial - I used to love Test Drive 2 or 3 on commodore amiga.

Dreams and desires
> A three way with identical Asian twin sister hotties
> Gain the respect of my peers.
> Work with building driver skill and give back to the community in some other ways - Master Class or discussion threads on driving and setup techniques
> Equal the great Schmeval in championships
> Sponsored events or prizes, like we used to have

Tell the world what you liked about the last/previous seasons
> I love AC as a platform
> An F1 category
> Although challenging, I still love the reverse grid second races, they do help spice up races.
> Opened setups (except limited tyre choices)
> F138 car
> Close Qualifying/Races where applicable
> The increase of overall driving standards and skills within the field since previous seasons

What you didn't like, and why. Be bold, be brash.
> Limited tyre choices that aren't real choices.
> A lack of rules in the league
> Low driver numbers
> An adherence to strictly F1 tracks or past F1 tracks, I'd like to branch out to more exotic locations within AC, tracks that you wouldn't normally race at (I don't mean short Silverstone either)
> League conservatism - I've posted rants about this in the past, I don't need to repeat them here
> No wet weather driving
> Lack of up to date F1 technology - i.e. Ferrari F-15 (or whatever it is called)

That's all I can think of right now...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Eradicator wrote:
We never did get around to doing that enduro event we talked about ages ago.

Unfortunately this was largely because AC server side did not support timed events....however it does now....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 pm 
Emerson Fittipaldi

Going to TRY and keep this short and simple

3 Weeks on, 1 week off (with long weekends off as a default week off - so no additional week off if there is a long weekend somewhere in Aust.)
    Stick with F138, been a bit frustrating needing/having to learn a new car every season.
    Longer format racing
      Random grid?
      Reserved grid based off championship standings
      Allows the opening of all tyre options with pit stop strategy with a longer race.
    2 rounds at current race format then 1 round of a single 1 hour race.
    2 rounds of the main championship 1 round of fun AC title in another car/format/track
    Keep open set up option, think this helped us talk a bit more as a community between races (Thank You Parkour and Kikz with/for sharing set ups the last season)
    threesome with non-identical twins, 1 blonde 1 brunette.
    Racing at twilight, it is SO PRETTY at 5pm, plus added challenge of the sun angle.

Yes, I know i'm part of the AMS crew, but i think we lost a lot of players when we switched to AC from F1 20xx, not sure switching titles again is a good idea IMHO.

Will come back if i think of more. But generally agree with what has been said already.

"I don't really know anything anymore. A bit like Zoolander when he looks into the puddle -- who am I? Was it a puddle? Yeah. Anyway what did you ask me? You lost me at hello." [Dan Ric]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:40 pm 
Lewis Hamilton

Ploddy wrote:
Be bold, be brash.

Ok, bold rando thought of the day.

All game disciplines contribute to a single all-encompassing ASR ladder.
Drivers compete against each other across multiple titles, be it F1 201x, AC, AMS, iRacing etc all results count. Then we make extensive use of the dropped rounds thing and we, for example, say your best 10 results are used in the ladder.

Allows drivers to play the titles they prefer and still count towards ladder. People who are better at other titles but weaker in others get to put their best foot foward for the comp.
Rewards diversity of driving skills?

Complicated, but has benefits like including titles that otherwise wouldn't have an ASR championship. Adds diversification options to get points other ways.

Maybe not so good if not enough compete in the "satellite" game series to the main likely AC comp. Need minimum numbers so system can't be gamed.

End of rando thought :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 am 
ASR F1 Champion

Cool. And yeah just noticed this, a global sticky would be good.

AC. I like AC.

The F138. It's the nicest most perfect sim car I've ever driven. If we do multiple series can we keep this for one please. Switching cars each season may put people off who do the first couple of races and are put off if they haven't got a feel for it yet, and see others who have disappear into the distance. We're all good at this car now. And it's beautiful.

Setups. I quite enjoyed playing with all of it and developing a nice setup myself, despite being an early vocal critic. Defenders of full setup options might say it's mostly inconsequential, and worth less than a second a lap. That's not true. So, for those who don't want to make setups either wind back some options to make it simpler, or having decent community setups available (as Kikz and Parkour did). On the flipside, I spent ages on mine and it was really good, so as a competitive advantage, and also representing work I'd put in to get speed as part of the overall season challenge and the excitement that goes with that - I personally didn't want to share...

Current format. Reverse grids are unreal fun. Race duration about right, though a bit longer wouldn't hurt.

DISLIKE

Frequency. Need more. Three weeks on one off idea is a good one. Or, if we do a couple of series over split weeks then maybe reduce setup options to make it easier to do both.

Tracks. Need more interesting ones.Sure include some F1 good ones (sick of Spa), but chuck in Mugello and Brands cos exciting, and at least the two Kunos long tracks (Scortlund and desert).

Non-standard tire wear and fuel burn and options. Set it all at default and open up to all tires choices. No mandatory pit stop.

Starting time. With deference to our US friend, starting an hour earlier would be nicer. More convenient, less chance of missing F1 TV stuff, and allows perhaps for slightly longer races.

GROWING THE COMMUNITY

This is the big hard one. We routinely have a few signups during each season, some stay, most don't. Why? We also have some regulars who start but drift away. It's ok to miss occasional races, but only doing a couple in a season isn't. But we don't want to stress commitment too much else it puts people off entirely.

Unfortunately places like RD frown upon recruitment drives, but Reddit doesn't and that could be a way to boost numbers.

We *just* had enough people last season to make things interesting. We only need to get it to a dozen reliably each race to make it nice and satisfying. 15+ would be tops, and should be achievable.

Splitting into two series I think is bad for this, too many will choose one only, ultimately meaning two smaller series instead of one big one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Agree with Ben on almost every aspect there. I'd hate to have invested this time in learning and understanding the F138 and then suddenly have to start again with a new car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:26 pm 
ASR AC Champion

More regular rounds, say weekly, but more drop races/rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:36 pm 
Forum Admin

Fantastic feedback gentlemen, keep it coming. Some truly inspired ideas coming out, as well as some themes emerging.

I want to keep this going for a few days and invide some broader comment. Most of the 'regulars' have replied but I am very interested in the opinions of the not-so-regulars as well.

PS: As soon as I can global sticky this I will, having truble with access atm. Can someone else do it for me pls?

(Mod Edit: Post is now icky - Pessimist)

Last edited by pessimistprime on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post is now icky - Pessimist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 pm 
Alberto Ascari

I'll get to my input, but I'm back in Aus now Ben - no need to worry about trans-pacific timezones anymore!

G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:59 pm 
ASR F1 Champion

I've been a semi permanent member for the last 3 seasons so hopefully I can add some useful input.
I like our group and want ASR to thrive, but I'm also not enjoying the racing.
Every season I show up with no interest but give it a go anyway just to help with numbers.

Personally I need to find in myself the enjoyment of racing again for anything to change for me.
But as far as our championship I have a few ideas that may or may not help.

MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE
Game:
AC
I agree with Pete that moving away from AC may not be good for attendance as has been the case in the past.
And as for having 2 separate games running together (AC + AMS) on alternative weeks may just split numbers in half for each championship.

Car:
F138
It was easy to drive and the official F1 liveries add more enjoyment for me. I never liked the idea of custom liveries in the open wheelers.
But I also like the idea of racing something else in either a 2nd championship or single events.
Something fun to drive for close racing.

Calender:
Every fortnight (F1) and every other fortnight (Tin top).
or 3 on, 1 off (F1 only)

Race format:
2 races with reverse grid works really well.
But I would love to see a couple endurance races added in as part of the championship.
And maybe we could do the same as Supercars and award an endurance champion?
Also is it possible to swap drivers during a race?

Setup / tyres:
Minimal setup and 2 tyre compounds (maybe changing per round).
I was against setups but enjoyed this in the season just passed.
But only minimal options as open is way too much.

PREVIOUS SEASON LIKES
Friday night practice:
When these where working we had a post after the event on the webpage with the results and a brief write-up.
The write-ups where great because they made you want to be the early pace setter and get some recognition.
I think without the results and write-ups they became pointless and hence no one shows up.
Also I feel this is the best time to get more potential members with open sessions. We tried it once recently and we had some problems and gave up on it immediately. Yes we had some random's getting in the way but if we don't do open sessions then how else will we find more drivers.

Write-ups and videos:
I used to enjoy reading the race reviews and results for each round.
And it was always nice when your own name got a mentioned.
Currently I feel like a ghost or invisible in this championship as if it wouldn't make a difference if I was here or not.

24 car grid:
Our first season of AC was great as we had so many drivers.
That was the most fun of all and obviously something that isn't easy to achieve. But that must be our priority.

Close racing:
The racing used to be much closer.